The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Learned my lesson - only use the good stuff! Had some thin mesh that was "stainless steel", gave it a try as it could be shaped by hand to make a little dome for some fissidens. Seem to work, moss grew fine.

Fast forward a month or 2, can't figure out why my water is testing so hard. The water I'm doing changes with is very soft and is re-mineralized to about 75 ppm (~ 3 degrees or so). The tank is over double that!

On a hunch I flip over the moss screen, the whole middle is rusted mush. Might have been stainless, but obviously not high/marine grade.

Didn't see to harm my shrimp or plants - guess I was dosing a lot of iron this way! :) Think I'll do a 50% WC now.

Tied the moss to a small river rock ,hopefully it will attach an cover it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
why not use that plastic mesh from the craft store, needlepoint stuff... throw a 'tad' of gravel on it to hold it down.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i guess i've been lucky mine is staying put... it's all i had handy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the reason is plastic mesh always float,
Would they be good for shrimp screening? I'm thinking of when one repurposes those overflow saltwater systems like the innovative marine, jbj, or coralife tanks. I would use some silicone sealer to attach to the back wall of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts