The Planted Tank Forum banner

Spyrogyra or something else??

735 7
Hello everyone!

Let me start by saying, I am a total newb. I don't understand a lot of things about planted aquariums yet, but I am doing my very best.

Now that that's out of the way, I need help identifying this crap in my 10 gallon aquarium. When I first noticed it, I thought it was poly-fill fibers coming out of my filter, so I took that out immediately, plucked out as much as I could, did a 50% water change, and thought it would eventually just go away. Nope. It just keeps growing and growing and I don't know what it is or how to stop it. :(

I really want to figure this out before I try putting fish in.

Here's the album for pictures:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/album.php?albumid=24251

Here's my setup:
10 gallon
AquaClear 30 filter
ADA Aquasoil
Nicrew BrightLED light
CO2 injection with diffuser (1.5ish bps, drop checker staying green throughout the injection period)
Plants: Java fern, ludwigia repens, dwarf lily, christmas moss, pygmy chain sword, and dwarf baby tears
Animals: 3 black devil snails, 2 mystery snails, and 1 nerite snail
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
734 Posts
Does look like Spyrogyra, green thread algae. You can physically remove it with a brush, and it will come out in long silky chunk. You can physically remove it or dose with API Algaecide if you don’t mind killing invertebrates. Hard to get rid of as no algae eaters eat it, and thrive in the same conditions as green plant.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does look like Spyrogyra, green thread algae. You can physically remove it with a brush, and it will come out in long silky chunk. You can physically remove it or dose with API Algaecide if you don’t mind killing invertebrates. Hard to get rid of as no algae eaters eat it, and thrive in the same conditions as green plant.
The only inverts I have are snails, but Algaecide will kill them too? Do Amanos not eat this stuff either?

· Registered
500 Posts
FWIW spirogyra is the green thread algae, Spyrogyra was a jazz-fusion band named after the algae.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.