The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I'll try to let the pictures do all the talking here, but basically i just wanted to do a thread stricly on this tank...I have one for my whole rack(which this is on) In the regular tank journal section...but i feel that it gets little publicity due to not being in with the shrimp specific peeps. So here it is from start...uh don't know the date...I think March...to present. and i'm thinking since the recent success of crs breeding and overall plant growth, I'm going to do some rescaping in the near future...nothing drastic. Just moving the ambulia out since it is too big of a focal point, and keeping it more just lower plants like the HM, glosso, hygro kompact. DHG, and crypts and mosses.

ok..so here are the specs.

lighting: shop light 2x32w
fertz: root medic macro&micro solutions...when i feel like it
Co2: Nope...sometimes Excel when i can get it and afford it.
substrate: Fluval Stratum...love it, but it's light.
rocks&wood: Shale type stuff found at closed landscaping business. Wood is roots from some local tree that i jacked. so that was all free! and some cholla for food!
livestock: CRS c + b grade :( , RCS, Babaulti, Amanos, Assasin snails ( to kill the ramshorns and pond snails) and bugs...like seed shrimp i thinks, and FW limpets. praise the LORD no planaria as of yet.

and that's all I can think of. here's some pretty pictures.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I love how first we see one tank, then four, then eight...see a trend? lol We all do it!
Oops! Pardon me! I took a closer look & found ten tanks! ; )

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW water change day must be a major PITA!
ha you mean water change DAYS...ssssssss plural! I'm kinda hating my 90 gallon right now...wish some one in my area had an ADA tank...I'd trade my 90 or a dinky Mini M any day...because i'm selling all my mbuna and...its so freaking tall i can't reach the bottom.

and the plate is just a terra cotta plate i got at Michael's.I just putt the food in it to make it easier to see and pick up left over...which really doesn't ever happen...so i really dont need it. It's more for tanks with less than...oh 30 shrimp...and really it's even more useless when i think about it since my fatty fatty no friends Amano's just pick up a huge chunk of Azoo max breed and carry it where ever their little heart's desire.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think assasin snails in a shirmp tank is a bad idea. I had assasin snails in a shrimp tank, they ate almost all the snails but after that food source ran out, im pretty sure they started eating shrimp. My shrimp numbers seemed to slowly decrease. I never actually saw it happen but i wouldnt be surprised if a snail could catch one. They dont run away from snails.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
When I'm doing water changes, the most annoying part is putting the water back in slowly, as to not disrupt the substrate. All of my tanks are nanos. Siphoning the water out: easy. Putting it back (slowly: not so much.
I put the water into a bucket and use a plastic margarine like container to scoop the water and then gently put it into the tank by lowering the container. With a small nano tank, it doesn't take many scoops to fill it back up.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think assasin snails in a shirmp tank is a bad idea. I had assasin snails in a shrimp tank, they ate almost all the snails but after that food source ran out, im pretty sure they started eating shrimp. My shrimp numbers seemed to slowly decrease. I never actually saw it happen but i wouldnt be surprised if a snail could catch one. They dont run away from snails.
I'm not really too concerned...I have...an uncountable amount of snails in 4 of my tanks...when they are done in the nice shrimp tank. I'm oging to move them to the cherry endler tank where there are even more snails.

and yes, for water changes...i just use my brute strength to hold a full 5 gallon bucket up against the tank. and then break the water's fall with the other hand...it's a pain. but it's the best way i've found so far.

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
I put the water into a bucket and use a plastic margarine like container to scoop the water and then gently put it into the tank by lowering the container. With a small nano tank, it doesn't take many scoops to fill it back up.
Yeah, I use a cup to scoop water from a 1 gallon glass cylindrical container thing. But it takes like 20 scoops for my ebi or 10 for my 2.5. Just annoying. But whatever, you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
When I'm doing water changes, the most annoying part is putting the water back in slowly, as to not disrupt the substrate. All of my tanks are nanos. Siphoning the water out: easy. Putting it back (slowly: not so much.
I pour the water from the source container (5 gallon bucket or 1 gallon lock-n-lock, depending on the tank) into a cleaned out cool whip container that I hold at water level. As long as I don't go too crazy with it and hold the bowl more or less level, it spreads out the flow enough that nothing gets disturbed. You can also siphon from your bucket right back into the tank, or into a hob filter, or your hand held at water level...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so...not much has changed...except that i lost like ....30 crs....no biggie, just like 99% of my population, that's all......... :<

that's what happens when you neglect too much folks...my nitrates were at like 40ppm...i'm supprised there are even 2 left.

in other news...look at my other threads... i hope to be updating like all of them tonight...whooooo!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.