The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a 5 gallon bucket in my greenhouse with a heater and an airstone next to the heavily planted 100 gallon water tub that's been running for a year now. And placed a big water sprite and wad of Pearlweed and Riccia as a spawning media, and then introduced 4 White Clouds about 2 weeks ago. And there's now about 30-ish WCMM larvae darting about inside the bucket. It was my intention to not breed for volume but more for adding to my fish population in the 100 gallon, as the White Clouds don't seem to breed as well as the Rosy barbs. I noticed a few Rosy barbs larvae made it into the bucket with the plants.

My plan this spring and summer is to rotate other fish through this bucket, after raising the babies up to about 3/8"th's size. Next up will be some Glowlight Tetras, and then possibly a my Ember Tetras. I also want to try out breeding a Micro Boraras like Exclamation Point micro Rasboras.

The inspiration for all this was when I moved years back, I had some of my fish spend a couple days languishing in 5 gallon buckets with a single Water sprite and airstone. And I ended up with an additional 10 Head and Tailight Tetras and 13 extra Neons left behind in the buckets after moving the adults into their new digs. Especially surprized me was the Neons as the room was getting some strong natural daylight and their eggs are sensitive to light. This will be a semi monthly chronicle of my experiment.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I just set up a 5 gallon bucket in my greenhouse with a heater and an airstone next to the heavily planted 100 gallon water tub that's been running for a year now. And placed a big water sprite and wad of Pearlweed and Riccia as a spawning media, and then introduced 4 White Clouds about 2 weeks ago. And there's now about 30-ish WCMM larvae darting about inside the bucket. It was my intention to not breed for volume but more for adding to my fish population in the 100 gallon, as the White Clouds don't seem to breed as well as the Rosy barbs. I noticed a few Rosy barbs larvae made it into the bucket with the plants.

My plan this spring and summer is to rotate other fish through this bucket, after raising the babies up to about 3/8"th's size. Next up will be some Glowlight Tetras, and then possibly a my Ember Tetras. I also want to try out breeding a Micro Boraras like Exclamation Point micro Rasboras.

The inspiration for all this was when I moved years back, I had some of my fish spend a couple days languishing in 5 gallon buckets with a single Water sprite and airstone. And I ended up with an additional 10 Head and Tailight Tetras and 13 extra Neons left behind in the buckets after moving the adults into their new digs. Especially surprized me was the Neons as the room was getting some strong natural daylight and their eggs are sensitive to light. This will be a semi monthly chronicle of my experiment.
Love everything about this. I'm at a point in my hobby where I have come to the inescapable conclusion that many (most?) fish will breed better in a bucket outside then in my crazy high tech tanks indoors simply because its outside. I have no idea what it would take to truly replicate the important parts of an outdoor fish environment for indoor aquariums but as a hobby we just aren't there yet.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've noticed that microrganisms, copepods, algae, etc. grow a lot better outside as well.

I believe it's because there are natural shifts in conditions outside, and that does something to provoke the biological responses of the organisms in the system.

Maybe it's because our tanks are too controlled? Or not controlled enough, depends on how you look at it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love everything about this. I'm at a point in my hobby where I have come to the inescapable conclusion that many (most?) fish will breed better in a bucket outside then in my crazy high tech tanks indoors simply because its outside. I have no idea what it would take to truly replicate the important parts of an outdoor fish environment for indoor aquariums but as a hobby we just aren't there yet.
I've noticed that microrganisms, copepods, algae, etc. grow a lot better outside as well.

I believe it's because there are natural shifts in conditions outside, and that does something to provoke the biological responses of the organisms in the system.

Maybe it's because our tanks are too controlled? Or not controlled enough, depends on how you look at it.
Yeah I agree, the 100 gallon has it's share of Seed Shrimp and Cyclops, despite the Rosies intense efforts to find everything that's remotely edible in that tank. My indoor 17 gallon, which is probably my most high tech effort in planted tanks, has about 4 young, 1/3rds grown Ember Tetras. Although it's also a bit of a fuzz algae farm right now, so it's not that sanitary.

Back out in the greenhouse bucket, I'm feeding the babies green water from an outside 55 gallon plastic drum that the local Western leopard frogs like to lay eggs into. I'm sure there's extra micro organisms mixed in with the green water, but the babies also get a very scant sprinkling twice a day of Golden Pearls in powder/Rotifer size. The Rosy Barb young are interesting, they tend to swim along parallel to surfaces and graze from the tank walls.They're also way more transparent which makes them harder to find. I'm going to see if my camera will capture any of these youngsters sufficiently to make a clear enough video.

whoops, looks like you cannot upload MP4 files to your own gallery, bummer

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Lol I have a doggie pool I set up every summer at my camp and it get northern leopard frogs and green frogs that spawn in it. It's no longer a doggie pool set up 😂 I'm interested in seeing how things come along!!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Personally I think it's because of all the sunlight and extra nutrients they get. Excess light feeds phytoplankton (greenwater), which microzooplankton (infusoria, like rotifers and copepods) chow down on, leading to a boom, which in turn feeds baby fish.

I'm in the process of getting some of the 20 gallon buckets set up. No bubblers for now. But right now I need to figure out how to arrange the balcony so that there's actually, y'know, space for me to walk around haha.

Frogs have been a major PITA for my subber tubbing setups. I'm hoping that now I'm in dry socal, I don't have to worry about tree frogs or whatever making their way onto my second story balcony.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.