2 days later:

1 Week!:

couple months!

now:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks solstice, do you think the riccia will grow without co2 or should i get some excel?
btw your broken bridge nano was one of the insprations for the rocks, i liked how your hardscape looked as though it once was joined together, so i based my hardscape on freeze thaw, which is when water freezes and thaws over the winter and cracks apart rocks, then in the spring you get the lush green plants growing in between the destruction
heres a wide angle:

I think i need more elocharis to the right of the large rock to blend it in a bit more

·
Registered
644 Posts
I don't have experience with riccia, but I do have a lot of pellia in my tank which is very similar and it EXPLODED with Excel. I'd look into picking some up and forget the DIY CO2.

I like your inspiration (the freeze thaw that is)! :) It's very well executed.

I think the eleocharis will fill in just fine the way you have it now.

I'm curious why you shifted the thermometer. In the hardscape pic it looks like it's tucked nicely back in the corner but it looks like you moved it up when you planted the tank. Just wondering why....

Is that ADA substrate?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually the heater hasent moved i think i moved the filter a bit
yeh its aquasoil amazonia with a jbl florapol power sand clone

if anyones wondering were i got the plants they came from www.plantsalive.co.uk and were excelent expect for a decimated pot of glosso, but when i emailed to complain they said they would send a replacement straight away so its good service there

I got all the other stuff from the best planted tank online shop in the uk
www.aquaessentials.co.uk they basically have everything there all in one place (heehe no they arent paying me for this plug)

my plans for inhabitants are :
2x golden pencilfish (if my lfs stocks them)
some type of characin possibly black neons
amano shrimp which I will be putting in a week on monday as per amano reccomendation with some otos hopefully

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I love the rock work. Great job! :)

Purigen will remove the color almost immediately. Otherwise it'll disappear on its own after a few weeks of parital water changes. When I set up a 20g tank with AquaSoil it initially looked like someone had poured a can of Mt Dew in it. :icon_lol:

Regarding adding Amanos shrimp to the tank, be sure you check your ammonia levels before you do as that's another thing that AquaSoil puts out in abundance initially.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
will do thanks for the tips ;)
is there a simple way to test for ammonia, acutally wouldent ammonia rasie the ph? as it is a weak base, but maybe that is only in large quantitys and even small quantitys are enough to kill shrimps and fish?
anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Ammonia liquid test kits are probally best, the small stick on Ammonia "meters"(plastic cards with colors on them" probally are very inaccurate.
i don't think ammonia raises ph, but i know if your ph is above a certain point, it becomes deadly-er, and below a point and it's harmless.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
IME, riccia's most limiting factor is light. without plenty of light it's like watcking your fingernails grow!

·
Registered
889 Posts
the rocks i hacked out personally from the old quarry near my house, i used my dads pick axe and it took ages, but i got exactly what i wanted!
it was fun and it made me feel cool!
Wow that IS pretty cool :D All the rocks in my tank came from random places we have been to for vacation. So all the rocks are different, and I like all of them. I even think some rocks are from Argentina!!(where I was born).

well i have 16wpg!
im going to order some excel and get some amanos in there as theres a bit of hair algae around, will amanos eat hair algae?
They might, I mean they are known to be the most efficient algae eating shrimps, according to Tikashi Amano (hence the shrimps name). So I would say yes, but never having kept that species personally, I can not be sure. Either way having Amano Shrimp in your tank will make your tank ---------------------------- <That much better!
Shrimp tank > Shrimpless tank :icon_lol:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.