The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a new canister filter for my 40b, got a 2217. I'm currently using a xp1. I've made a spray bar that ran the length of the tank out of 1/2 inch pvc. It's also running a cerges reactor.

I dont want to make another spray bar since the paint just comes off. Tried several different ways. Sooo i was curious if i put the spray bar on the side of the tank, is that a good idea? The intake would be on the other side. I have 2 powerheads i can add for more water movement if needed.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
That sort of set up makes it a bit more like a river tank set up, which can work just fine as long as the tank is not too long. Good that you have some PH to help out. Set up the new filter and try the spray bar in several locations. See what works best.

I am curious what painting methods did you try on the PVC?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried sanding the spray bar,then several coats of krylon spray paint. Also tried primer plus sanding. Then tried sanding primer and then sanding between coats.
All just flakes off with in a couple weeks. Tried gloss vs flat.

I've made 3 different spraybar. I can't find enough fittings in gray or black maybe online? The white showing through is a eye sore.
The xp1 is actually a back up which is like 10 yrs old.

Originally made the spray bar for a sunsun 304b, which broke after 7 months.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I used the black pipe and fittings for lawn sprinklers . Works well for my setup .

Reactions: goodbytes

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yeah, that's what I do on my 55 but I've got a canister on the other end with the spraybar facing forward which is a bit self defeating. Ideally you should put the intake on the same end as the spraybar to create a more circular current as the lower flow of Eheims may leave you with low circulation under the spraybar.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello,
I got an Ehiem on my 55gl. I have placed my intake at one end of the tank. The spray bar that came with it {filter} I trimmed off a few inches so that it fits at the other end of the tank. I have noticed that the holes shoot the water towards the front of the glass causing a current that runs pretty strong across the front of the tank. Anyone else have this prob? Unfortunately my apistos are not fans. Also there is a huge dead space in the back corner. I am going to try and move things around. Just have a hard time getting poo and what not to the intake. I feel your pain latchdan on the spray bar placement.

Bump: Hello,
I got an Ehiem on my 55gl. I have placed my intake at one end of the tank. The spray bar that came with it {filter} I trimmed off a few inches so that it fits at the other end of the tank. I have noticed that the holes shoot the water towards the front of the glass causing a current that runs pretty strong across the front of the tank. Anyone else have this prob? Unfortunately my apistos are not fans. Also there is a huge dead space in the back corner. I am going to try and move things around. Just have a hard time getting poo and what not to the intake. I feel your pain latchdan on the spray bar placement.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about the location of the intake? I thought the other side since the water would push debris that way. Or same side as the spray bar like goodbytes said?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've tried a couple different ways and what I like best is the spray bar and intake on same end with the spray bar pointing across the surface the long way(end to end) and the intake down near the bottom. The water flows across the top of the tank and returns along the bottom. I seem to get the best circulation this way with no 'dead' areas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts