The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
It gives better distribution which helps get more even circulation and helps increase oxygen absorption due to increased surface area from agitation. In a planted tank, you generally don't want it if you're dosing CO2 because it'll off-gas faster.

Tommy

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ditto on what Tommy posted. Think about it......spray bar has the width of your tank (or whatever length you want...to an extent of course), a regular nozzle is limited to its size. I've used both and I can tell you that the spray bar gets better distribution/circulation than the reg nozzle. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O.K. I just started my high pressure CO2 on March 31st so I guess I won't be buying a spray bar. Thanks for the quick replys.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You could do a submerged bar which would spread out flow to improve circulation without surface agitation (aka loose Co2).

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can use a spray bar with a planted tank just aim the holes in it at a downward angle and it will cause surface agitation to almost nothing. It off gases quick if you have it at the water surface. Install it below the surface of the water and you will be fine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last night I installed the spray bar. I put is about 2" below the surface of the water. It definatly looks much better because it keeps less equipment out of view on the back of the glass. It also does a better job moving the water and also the little bubbles from my CO2 diffusor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts