The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the aquarium world and setting up my first planted tank. I just bought the Eheim 2224 filter for my 29 gallon tank and was wondering how I should position the spray bar to achieve the best circulation in the tank. I have been looking at some of your tanks on this forum and it seems everyone does it a little different. I have noticed some people have even removed the spray bar and just use the return hose it self.
With all the plants I will be putting in the tank I am just concerned about poor circulation. Like I said I am new to the game and will value anyones opinion.
Thanks,
Mike :proud:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Welcome to TPT.

It's going to depend on your hardscape and/or plant arrangement, also what the fauna is going to be if any.

Can you provide a little more detail to your plans?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think circulation is very important. I have a 29 gallon as well. I don't have a spray bar but I use a power head to help. I have my hose to the filter at just above the substrate in the back left corner and the return hose mounted high in the right hand corner in the back, pointed down towards the middle of the front glass. This helps with my circulation. I had to adjust and readjust until I noticed the most debris being removed from the tank. But you don't want to have it (or a spraybar) to close to the surface. You want to keep in as much C02 as possible.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok this is what I am thinking.

29 Gallon tank
Eheim 2224
65 watt single 6700K tube fixture
60lbs of Ecco-Complete(will give me 3" base)
Natural Aquarium Vital Liquid(as my CO2 source)
1 piece of driftwood in right corner(12"x13"x8")
Some slate rocks on left side of tank
As far as fish:Maybe 2 Platys, 2 guppies, 2 Cory Cat's, 4 Tetra's and a couple of Cherry Shrimp, but that is still up in the air.

Because I am running about 2.25 watts of light and only going to use the Natural Aquarium Vital Liquid as my CO2 source, I am choosing a low light and low CO2 plant package from freshwateraquariumplants.com that includes: red and green swords, amazon swords, Brazilian ivy, Val's, java fern, dwarf sagittaria, hornwort, anubias nana, crypt wendtii green, and some others.

Well this is what I was thinking anyway. This will be my first planted tank and I don't to get to complicated.
Mike

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i have a spraybar on my tank and wouldn't have it any other way. i may not have adequate circulation due to a uv and reactor in line after my filter, but i have a powerhead for that. you won't lose co2 with a spraybar. you just have to angle it at right angle in order to provide surface movement without losing too much co2.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to TPT.

It's going to depend on your hardscape and/or plant arrangement, also what the fauna is going to be if any.

Can you provide a little more detail to your plans?
i have a spraybar on my tank and wouldn't have it any other way. i may not have adequate circulation due to a uv and reactor in line after my filter, but i have a powerhead for that. you won't lose co2 with a spraybar. you just have to angle it at right angle in order to provide surface movement without losing too much co2.
I guess if I am having circulation problems I can always just add a powerhead like you have. It is nice to hear different opinions being this is my first tank.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I started off with a spray bar, and used one for more than 2 years - with good success. A year ago, I switched to lily pipes. Now, I prefer a "concentrated" outlet. It creates more water movement.

As mentioned - it all depends on your particular setup. Some plants like added current (Bolbitis comes to mind). Other plants would get blown over in a strong current (Myriophyllum).

Of course, lily pipes cost a small fortune. So, for my less-fancy tanks, I used these .

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I started off with a spray bar, and used one for more than 2 years - with good success. A year ago, I switched to lily pipes. Now, I prefer a "concentrated" outlet. It creates more water movement.

As mentioned - it all depends on your particular setup. Some plants like added current (Bolbitis comes to mind). Other plants would get blown over in a strong current (Myriophyllum).

Of course, lily pipes cost a small fortune. So, for my less-fancy tanks, I used these .
I checked out those lily pipes on line and your right they do cost a small fortune. It is cool though that they are clear which makes them stand out less in the tank making you focus more on your aquascape and not the filtering equipment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts