The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have to make a spray bar for my canister filters and i need to spray paint it.

Ive never had luck with it sicking very well in the past using krylon black. Ive tried sanding,and using primer but it just bubbles off.

Do i need to put a clear coat?

I can't find black pvc locally so that isn't a option.

Suggestions? tips?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Krylon fusion is what I have read. I am making an internal canister filter out of pvc so I had the same question. Another option might be etching primer. I know a guy who paints whole cars with a rattle can everything else with it including plastic and he swears etching primer is the key. Like I said I am going to try Krylon fusion as it is made for plastics and use without a primer.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive uses kyrlon gloss black and its coming off i know others have used it. I just need it to stick better. There has to be a technique to it.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Hmm. Did you wash the pieces first? Thats not what I wanted to hear as I was going to get the paint (Krylon fusion) for my filter tomorrow morning and get it assembled. Hopefully someone comes along who knows what went wrong.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya give it a shot. Mine would just start bubbling like water got under the paint then it would pop/chip off. Touching it would just chip faster.

I have to be missing a Step. The can says 7 days fully chip resistant. Is there a longer cure time for water?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say Krylon Fusion still flakes/peels, usually lasts some time though. Maybe you could try rubbing sand paper (sanding) the surfaces, spray (not sure if it needs more or less coats) and be sure to let it dry completely (I still believe it peels eventually though).

Is ordering online a option? Either some black or clear PVC to DIY, or just buy already made spray bars (or from SunSun filters, or Eheim, etc)

Or get some attachment for the outlet, like a fan/wide/flat tip to give a similar dispersed outflow that a spray bar gives.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say Krylon Fusion still flakes/peels, usually lasts some time though. Maybe you could try rubbing sand paper (sanding) the surfaces, spray (not sure if it needs more or less coats) and be sure to let it dry completely (I still believe it peels eventually though).

Is ordering online a option? Either some black or clear PVC to DIY, or just buy already made spray bars (or from SunSun filters, or Eheim, etc)

Or get some attachment for the outlet, like a fan/wide/flat tip to give a similar dispersed outflow that a spray bar gives.
I have a eheim and rena filstar spray bar just don't like the look. I've been looking around online and found furniture grade pvc 1/2" sch 40. Cant find all the fittings i need but maybe i can get just the pipe and paint the other pieces i need.

That rit dye, is it aquarium safe?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have people put acetone on it and still had no problems in the tank? Ive done the sanding before just not the acetone.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I will know in a bit how my rit dye on pvc deal went. I dont hold much hope for it to look right. I think I may not have the same cleaner as the vid I posted or that cleaner is now chemically different. As soon as I know I Will post the results.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I have done the light sanding then Krylon Fusion for Plastic.
I do several thin coats, making sure each coat is dry (usually several hours of daylight, or overnight).

I did some PVC several years ago, and it is starting to come off.

mistergreen, thanks for linking that article.

I wonder if 'flame treating' can be done with MAPP gas??? (some reading has shown it reaches 5300 degrees F, but is a propane based material, not natural gas like the article specifies)
I will probably re-treat the PVC by sanding, then a wipe with acetone. I understand acetone evaporates pretty fast- if I leave the PVC in the sun for a few hours, is this enough? (warm, breezy day)

thedood, looking forward to the follow up, what happens with the RIT dye?

Looks like an interesting way to treat the PVC. I know using RIT on fabric, it washes out a lot the first couple of washes, but then seems colorfast for years. I have a few tie-dyed T-shirts that have faded like that. They have been pale pink, pale green etc for a long time. Obviously fabric (cotton or cotton-poly blend) is not PVC.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The rit is mixed with the cleaning chemical. The cleaning chemical softens the surface of the pvs and allows the dye to actually penetrate the surface of the pvc so you dont actually have a coating as with paint but the pvc color is actually changed.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will know in a bit how my rit dye on pvc deal went. I dont hold much hope for it to look right. I think I may not have the same cleaner as the vid I posted or that cleaner is now chemically different. As soon as I know I Will post the results.
maybe I missed it in the video but the yellow can that is cleaner? I thought it was showing pvc glue. There is no mention of what the cleaner is called in the responses either. Also with my crappy cell phone i can't read the can. You mix it? and in what proportions?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
It said cleaner and a two cleaner to one dye ratio. Apparently I got the wrong cleaner. I have some color but its a light gray.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts