The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40g breeder aquarium with co2 injection and high light and I want to have plants in the aquarium like Ludwigia sp. Atlantis show their nice colors. I want to buy and Eheim Class 350 aka 2215 canister filter. I made a previous thread about my aquarium and I was recommended this Eheim spray bar. I watched this video by Dennis Wong,
, about optimizing co2 in high tech tanks. In this video he recommends to use a glass lily pipe. If I use this spray bar, could I place the spray at or below the water's surface or would the lily pipe be easier?
View attachment 1035607
View attachment 1035608

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have used both and I'm happiest with the Eheim spray bar. You can certainly use the Lily pipe, but the spray bar is superior at creating surface agitation.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My guess is that the true definitive answer is " it depends" ;)

Most of the remarkable tanks tend to use lily pipes with a surface skimmer but good results using a spray bar can also be seen on the excellent tanks that @EmotionalFescue builds. It is all about engineering for best flow. If you use a surface skimmer lily pipe return then you are pretty much assured of good oxygenation. Your surface does not need to look like Winter surf at North Shore Hawaii.

I like a lily return that pushes the water toward the bottom and across the tank to assure a circular pattern and a way for the CO2 to reach all areas. With a bit of thought you can also get similar results with a spray bar but they tend to be a more visible feature.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I am a big fan of the spraybar.

Angle it up to the surface a bit and couple it with a skimmer intake, and you can pretty easily ensure good gas exchange and eliminate dead spots in the tank. I think from a purely operational perspective, it's much easier to nail good flow with a spraybar. BUT they're also much more in your face aesthetically. They generally work better visually with blacked out rear glass. That said, I put a spraybar on a rimless tank that was clear on all sides and was totally happy with the aesthetic. I did DIY it in a way that I was happy with though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts