The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Been running a planted tank for a few years and am upgrading to a new tank.
The new tank is much bigger (300L about 80 usg) and am trying to get some information on set up.

Nothing is in place yet and want to get everything right (or close to) before I start.

Set up is :
Aqua One 300L Regency 120 aquarium
Aqua One Aquis 1200 CF External Filter with spray bar
http://www.aquaone.co.uk/filter_external.php

I will be running an external CO2 reactor (a la Rex Grigg) on the outlet of the flter.

So my questions are
1. What is the bet placement for the spray bar ?
I've read varying opinions, but most seem to think near the bottom of the tank on the long side at the back. Is this right ?

2. Will I need additional power head ?
I am worried that there will not be enough water movement and/or co2 dispersion in the tank with just the spray bar.

3. The filter does not have a heater built in so I will have a standard heater in the tank (with heater guard). What is the thinking on placement ? I have read a lot about a single heater not giving good heat dispersion through the tank.

4. This links with 1 really, what is the best placement for the filter outflow ?
I assume that it would normally be at the opposite end from the spray bar but if that is placed at the back then that leaves a problem with the outflow being near the front of the tank (not ideal)

Thanks in advance, I have only used internal filters before so have not had to deal with any of these issues.

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
1.) I tend to do that with my spray bars as well, along the back long wall near the bottom.

2.) I wouldn't worry about a extra power head until you get the tank setup and water circulating. If the surface water isn't rippling (moving) about 50% of the way across the tank you might need a power head. Or if you see sediment buildup on plants in the corners then you will need a low flow power head. Unfortunately that's a subjective call.

3.) I like to run two heaters in my larger setups just as a backup in case one breaks (I do that with my canister filters as well) one on each side of the tank.

4.) Personally I like to plumb my big tanks for better water management (I refuse to bucket brigade on anything bigger than a 50gal) so I drill a bulkhead fitting about 1/3 of the way from the bottom or two inches above my substrate in the bottom left hand corner to drain water. Another one in the middle at almost the halfway point to add water via a sump pump and holding tank and then another bulkhead at the halfway point on both ends for two canister outflows and then if I need to I add power head nozzles to direct the flow the way I want it to go.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant thanks for that info

Think I will start with the spray bar at the back at the bottom
and see how it goes before buying a new power head

Think the double heater idea is a good one. Give a level of redundancy as well

Not sure I'm ready to start drilling the tanks. I use a pump to extract the water (no buckets) and that works well and sam back in from a holding tank.

So assuming I'm not that adventurous yet (drilling) and the input from the filter is a spray bar at the back bottom will having the outflow at the back cause any issues ?

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use a Lee's siphon (kind of a Python clone) with a long clear vinyl hose for my weekly water changes, very simple to use.
My heater is on the rear wall in the center. If your heater is submersible, mounting it horizontally and fairly low may help improve heat dispersion, and prevent it from ever being out of the water during water changes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ta for that
I need to check the destructions on the heater, think it has to be mounted vertically. Quite like the idea of having the two for redundacy that way I can mount one at each back corner.

Any thoughts on the position of the outflow for the filter ?
Will the positioning greatly affect the water flow within the tank.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts