The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to use a spray bar for my new sump filter. After some brainstorming, I came up with two options (see picture below).

- Option A : The holes placement are located to spray the back of the tank so the current is counter clockwise. The downside is there will be no surface agitation. I will probably have to add a power head for surface agitation.

- Option B: The holes placement are located to spray the front of the tank so the current is clockwise. With this option, I will have surface agitation.

What ya'all think?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
If the holes point down and you have tall plants at the back of the tank you may not be happy with the way the plants behave. Usually sump filters have plenty of oxygen added somewhere along the line so it isn't a huge deal if the surface has ripple. The overflow takes the dirty water off the surface so usually surface scum isn't a reason to have surface ripple.

Leave the actual spray bar unglued so you can rotate it to see what works best. Just be sure all the pipes leading up and over the edge are water tight and the plumbing in the tank that faces down can be left unglued if you like.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the holes point down and you have tall plants at the back of the tank you may not be happy with the way the plants behave. Usually sump filters have plenty of oxygen added somewhere along the line so it isn't a huge deal if the surface has ripple. The overflow takes the dirty water off the surface so usually surface scum isn't a reason to have surface ripple.

Leave the actual spray bar unglued so you can rotate it to see what works best. Just be sure all the pipes leading up and over the edge are water tight and the plumbing in the tank that faces down can be left unglued if you like.
Good points that you've made. I forgot about sump having more oxygen than canister filter. I will definitely keep your tips in mind.

I've read somewhere that the spray should be pointing to the front of the glass so the co2 and nutrient can get to the bottom first for the short/low growing plants.

Since I don't need surface agitation, I think I'm leaning toward the attached design.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Also off topic but is there a sticky or guide anywhere for building these? I'm interested but I probably shouldn't just cut loose making one of these without some guidance lol

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also off topic but is there a sticky or guide anywhere for building these? I'm interested but I probably shouldn't just cut loose making one of these without some guidance lol
I haven't found any sticky or guide on building one. But there are plenty of threads discussing on how to. Just use the search button.

I enjoy DIY so this is no problem for me to build one. Just need to find time to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts