The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Story:
[Skip ahead to the question if you don't care to ready extra dribble :p ]

Well, My boyfriend and I have been Searching for easily a year now for Dwarf puffers, constantly "Ordering" them at big box pet stores, but they never come in.

Well, we wandered over to a Walmart we've never been to before tonight, and found Puffers!

We were excited,and they were only 4$ a pop, compared to the 8$ and change the big box store wanted, they were sold as dwarfs, and the lights were off on the tanks, they looked like dwarfs to me, so we nabbed up the last two and happily headed home.

On the walk out to the car, I was staring at them in awe of their awesomeness, and I started to suspect they were green spotted.

Got home and got some shots online, turns out they are!

No biggy, we still love them, but, we don't have a brackish set up.

The Question:

We're converting the 10 from fresh to brackish water first thing tomorrow after we get the supplies but I was wondering ..

Do I need to re-cycle the 10g when we put the instant ocean in?
[Well, the proper mix and what not, of course :) ]

The tank that is to be theirs shortly was housing female bettas before hand [they're being moved to a recently vacated tank], so it's well filtered/cycled and has been constantly stocked.

Would it need to be re-cycled? If so we're going to take them back probably [though they were being housed in fresh water anyway..].

Actually we're debated, because they'd be kept in fresh water either way, but at least with us, they'd had a better chance of living.

Anyway, thanks just for reading, and an even bigger thanks if you reply :proud:.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nope, you don't have to re-cycle, as long as you gradually turn it to brackish using the drip method. Many pet stores keep them in FW as juveniles, and so need to be slowly acclimated to BW. Your bacteria will too. So as you slowly change to BW the FW bacteria will die off as the BW bacteria begin to colonize.

·
Registered
113 Posts
No prob. :)

I saw a site not too long ago that told you exactly how to do it, and how quickly... it was actually a site for GSP. I was considering getting a new tank, and having GPS, they are sooo cute.:biggrin:

If you want, I could try and find that site again.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be great if you could link it :]. So I don't mess anything up and end up with cute dead things instead of happy liveing ones :[.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah just some random moss and various plants that were dumped into that tank months ago for the female bettas to relax and hunt in :].

I think It's Java moss, mostly.

These guys are so adorable, they're really fun to watch swim.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts