The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a pre-filter for my Eheim Classic 2217 that will fit over the intake.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Get the prefilter sponge that's designed for the Danner Mag-Drives...it's perfect. I did a thorough investigation into this, and it's really the best. It's kind of a coarse-er sponge, so it doesn't clog up quickly compared to others.

I also have used the Lustar Hydrosponge II, but it is designed for a sponge filter, so both ends are open. The prefilter for the Danner mag drives is designed for exactly what you want and it fits great.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jmhart that's exactly what I'm looking for, simple and effective.

Do you know which one (which model) will fit a 1/2" intake?

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got mine at Petsmart: I think it's made by Fluval and cost around 3 bucks.
Is this it?

I'm not sure which will fit, I thought they were all the same size.

I use the prefilter from a Danner 700 on my Eheim 2028 and it fits perfectly. I put one on my Ecco 2236, and while it fits, it is clearly too big. Looks a little weird, but works great.
Is this what you're talking about?

I would suggest you look at these http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18430/si1379857/cl0/aquariumsystemsmaxijetprefiltersponge.While they are made for the Maxi-Jet powerheads they should pretty much work on any filter intake. I used then on a Penguin 170.
Those sponge filters are closed on one side, correct?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dantra,

The one you linked is the one I have.
Thanks, I'll get one of those and one of the other ones just to compare flow. I would like as little interference with the water flow going into the intake as possible. The coarser the sponge the better.

Thanks all. Time to do some ordering and comparing.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm trying to locate the Hagen Fluval Edge Pre-Filter Sponge but I don't see it on Petsmarts site. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm using this one on as pre-filter for a Rena XP2 canister. I needed it to keep the shrimp out of the filter. This sponge is fairly coarse as well, no clogging issues.
This is the one that I use. You can cut it in half and have two.

Eheim has a prefilter too: http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCa...y=eheim+prefilter&queryType=0&hits=12&offset=
Since I can't find the Hagen Fluval Edge Pre-Filter Sponge I think I'll just go with the one you guys suggested, hbosman and Left C. :proud:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Go to www.jehmco.com and have look at Hydro-Sponge Filter-Max3 Pre-filter.
The set has elbows and adapters to fit various filter intake tubes. I'm using it on my XP-4 and I'm very happy with it. If you buy it, buy also some replacement sponges to save on possible future shipment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts