The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should've thought of a better title...oh well.
For a low-tech, planted freshwater tank.

I was given a 29-gallon BioCube. No filters or pumps, just the tank and the lid with some lights. It has these 3 back chambers that act as a sump and for filter media, I think.
I was thinking of removing this back part and setting it up like a normal glass tank,
but
if inhabitants would just be a few small starter fish or some neocaridina shrimp,
would I be able to just have different sponge filters in each chamber?
Like, a big one in chamber 1, another big one in chamber 2, and then one that can also act as a pump in chamber 3?

·
Registered
91 Posts
So the one you have does not have the water pump that is supposed to come with it and move water through the chambers?

A sponger filter in the back won't do any good if the water isn't cycling through the chambers.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Theoretically you could just find one of those air driven filters that fits that output hole and have it pump water back into tank side, then other compartments in sump you can just put some standard block foam and they will get water pulled through them.

But I really don’t see point when you can get a small submerged pump for <$9 and a block of foam

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKW2K8Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_PGRMDbMK8DTVF

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the one you have does not have the water pump that is supposed to come with it and move water through the chambers?

A sponger filter in the back won't do any good if the water isn't cycling through the chambers.

Oh, no it didn't have that.

That's the flow pump in the bottom image?

If I got a replacement water pump, and capable air pump, how would you feel about the following setup?

Orrrrr, I might go with the submerged pump and block of foam idea. I think they'd serve the same purpose.
I just had a few air-driven sponge filters laying around already.
Thank you for the pump link, @DaveKS!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, the tank was used, given free off craigslist. I spent some time on youtube looking at setups, but I'm not familiar enough with BioCubes to know how they come out of the box and what people have added after.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes that was the pump I was referring to. Replacing the flow pump will get you a functioning filter, adding air and sponge will make bio filtration more effective and oxygenate better for the fish although it may not be needed.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Oh, no it didn't have that.

That's the flow pump in the bottom image?

If I got a replacement water pump, and capable air pump, how would you feel about the following setup?

Orrrrr, I might go with the submerged pump and block of foam idea. I think they'd serve the same purpose.
I just had a few air-driven sponge filters laying around already.
Thank you for the pump link, @DaveKS!
You are likely overthinking this quite a bit. Assuming you can find 2 blocks of foam big enough (or one that's too large that you can cut down to the right size), you can just shove foam (it should be snug but not too tight that you have to use force to get it in place) into both chambers. Then use a water pump normally in the third chamber.

I would ditch the air pump altogether unless this is going into a fish room. The reason being that they are noisy. Even if the air pump itself is near silent the sound of the bubbles in the tank will be noisy. It's also not needed unless you are overstocking this tank to the max. Planted tanks with light to moderate fishload are the way to go and it sounds like that is where you are headed anyway.

If you find yourself wanting to polish the water more you could make your second piece of foam be less coarse, but likely it won't matter if you go with a medium grain of foam for both slots. Just stuff them full and you will be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts