The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any input here? I'm thinking about switiching over to a sponge filter after talking to a random guy yesterday but I'm not really sure how well they work etc. I have a 26 gallon bowfront. With rili shrimp, 3 otos, and brand new pygmy corys (hopefully I get more on Thursday:) ) thanks for any input

·
Registered
43 Posts
If u can, use both, can't go wrong over filtering, just make sure u have a presponge on the hob to avoid the shrimps getting sucked in if u do decide on a hob

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
In a tank that large, use both. No harm in over filtering your shrimp tank. However, as stated in the post before mine, use a pre-filter for your HOB.

·
Registered
406 Posts
i actually have a 55 gallon with multiple sponge filter as well as other tanks that i use just sponge filters...especially in my smaller tanks all my 20's and 10's only have sponge filters. they are easier to maintain and obviously cheaper.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sponge filters rock! Almost all killifish and many breeders use them exclusively so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Just get a sponge rated a size or two higher than your tank size and a dual output air pump and use a T-connector to combine the output. You will be surprised at how effective they are. Get bulk air stones off of aquabid for pennies and you're good to go!

Hint: I buy my dual output air pumps at walmart for $11 tax included. A+++

·
Registered
844 Posts
im a lazy person..so sponge filter for me....

don't have to clean it weekly and they last a while until i clean them

HOB might need weekly cleaning cause it will get clogg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts