The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I've never used sponge filters before, so I have a couple questions.

1) how do I replace the sponges
2) how often should I replace the sponges

Note that the filters will only be for betta tanks.

Also how would a sponge filter biologically filter the tank? Sorry I've never used sponge filters before so I do have a few questions.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sponge filters are very good for biological filtration, less so for mechanical filtration.

A sponge filter consists of a hard tube with a sponge on one end; there are holes or slots in the section of tube inside the sponge. An airline (with or without airstone) is inserted into the tube. Air goes down the airline, comes out the end of the airline and bubbles back up the length of the tube. This bubbling pulls water through the sponge and up the tube, and it flows out the top of the tube and back into the tank. So the tank water is filtered through the sponge.

You don't replace the sponge until it wears out; they can last for years. But you do have to clean the sponge periodically. To do so, remove the sponge filter assembly from the tank. Pull the sponge free and dunk/squeeze/rinse it thoroughly in a bucket of tank water (or fresh *dechlorinated* water) to get the gunk out. Rinse out the tube, also in tank or dechlor'd water. Reassemble the filter and return to the tank.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sponge filters are awesome and I keep them in every tank I own now, They help so much with biological filtration, Use a hob filter for mechanical, I use both in the same tanks.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
And how/where would I get replacement sponges for it when it's worn out. Also should I not use it if it doesn't have good mechanical filtration?
H2Ogal wrote it up very well for you. To put it simply, a sponge will probably out-live you unless you mis-handle it or something decides to eat it. All it takes is a couple of squeezes in tank water to re-open the pores within and it goes right back to work. Don't let it dry out and just keep a steady flow of air moving through it. Replacements are always available wherever you purchased it.

Most filtration schemes include some form of biological filtration and sponge filters are just one variety. Mechanical filtration is simply removing any suspended waste or debris from the water column before it starts to break down in to a dissolved state, thereby over-taxing the sponge's filtration capabilities. In a small tank, mechanical filtration can be a matter of diligent weekly water changes in the 30%+ range, vacuuming substrate in the process.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea because I was thinking of using them for a 20 long divided betta tank I was going to do. I've heard that a drawback is that it doesn't chemically filter the tank. Will that be an issue?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.