The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out the best option to do for a 20g tank. Current stock includes: 1 Glolight Danio, 8 Neon Tetras, 3 Siamese Algea Eaters, and 12 Ghost Shrimp.

I really would like to have my shrimp numbers to multiply, so don't want any little ones to get sucked up the filter.

Options:

Penguin Biowheel 350 HOB filter - taking off bottom filter piece and placing cut sponge to fit around bottom of opening.

or

10g Air Pump - DIY into a sponge filter. Using air line tube from pump down into tube with holes drilled, which creates benefitial bacteria to grow and shrimp to feast on.

(This is not my image and do not take credit for it)

Anyone's input or advice would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hopefully hearing your suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Both work well. Shrimp adults and babies will feed off both. I use DIY sponge pre-filters on all my HOB intakes. This is also a great place to place shrimp food. The food with stick to the foam. The foam becomes the main feeding site. This helps keep the substrate cleaner.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frank, I do have sand substrate so I don't want to set it on top of the sand so it sucks any up, but then shrimp can't really get to easily. That is mainly what I'm debating :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm really happy with Aquarium Technology Inc (ATI) Filter Max I Pre-filter in my 20gal. It's on the intake of an Eheim 2213. It came with 5 assorted pieces and one fit the Eheim. Some might think it is too big - you might be able to find a smaller size

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up buying a sponge today and cut to fit on the end of my Biowheel 350. So far so good, shrimp were already inspecting haha... I'm still gonna try to make the other filter when I have time to get supplies and see how that works on another tank I have. Thanks for the info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts