The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a 5g tank to use for a shrimp fry tank and I wanted to know if a "Hagen Elite double sponge filter" would work out ok?

At first I had thought about using a small HOB but its probably way too much for a small tank, then I thought about using the double sponge.

Does anyone here use a similar type filter for their small shrimp or fish tanks?

Thanks,

Martin

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I have a 5.5 gal tank with my tiger shrimp currently in it. I use a aquaclear 20 + a seapora sponge filter. Probably overkill but I rather overfilter than under filter. lol. I don't like the Hagen ones, too much gurgling and bubbling for me. Things are loud.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I have HOBs with a sponge on the intake on both my small tanks (and I use real media inside the HOB, not just a piece of batting).
That why I used aquaclears. They are awesome for media inside. Sponge on the intake, so no sponge inside, just bio media, eheim peat pellets and seachem purigen.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my main tank (15g) I use an Aquaclear #30 150gph and so far I really like it! Its easy to clean and replace media, and its quiet.

I had one problem with it on the first start-up. It made a sound like gears crunching then it stopped never to return.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I used a powerhead with nothing more than a fluval prefilter sponge for filtration on a 3 gallon shrimp tank and it worked out beautifully. That was a fairly heavily planted tank though, and growing plants do a lot to remove nitrogenous waste. For a grow out tank for shrimp, this ought to be more than enough. A hob with prefilter would also work just fine, though they might not like it if this is an empty tank.

I would avoid a lawn or dense plantings, it will make getting the shrimp back out of the tank a nightmare. On the other hand, the shrimplets will be much happier with something to hold onto and graze from.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats the problem I'm having now with my 15g. The tank was originally set up for fish and I never had intentions of adding anything else. Later on I added a handful of shrimp to add to the diversity of the tank.

At this point I still hadn't thought about the possibility of selling shrimp, and so far the fish were behaving well towards the shrimp. They were Neon Tetras(6) and three CPd's .

Eventually I gave the fish away and just stayed with the shrimp. The problem I have right now is the tank is established and not really set-up to chase shrimp around with a net because of the plants.

There are a couple plants that could stand a trimmimg but that won't help much.

Well, I figure it out but I do want to thank y'all for ideas for a filter.

Thanks,

Marty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts