The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i have this tank i setup up about a month ago. i have a rena xp1 as the main method of filtration, a metal inpipe and out pipe on the left side of tank and a glass difusser on the bottom right side. i decided to help out during this cycling period, to aid in stablizing the tank, i took out a sponge filter from an established tank and put it in this one with a small aqua clear 10 powerhead on top. what ive noticed ( been an hour now ) the small bubbles of co2 is getting stuck in the sponge.

the co2 is eventually coming out, you can see in the out flow of the powerhead, but am i defeating the whole purpose of adding another filter? does the sponge filter do its job even with co2 bubbles stuck in it?

im leaning towards no.

ive tried playing with different positions of all mentioned equipment, but i dotn have any spare tubing right now. will get some later. i will try to position the sponge filter in a place where it sucks up the least c02, but if i cant, im thinking i should put the co2 tubing directly into the powerhead, if i decide to keep the sponge filter/power head combo in the tank.

thanks guys.

oh fyi, i orginally just wanted to keep this powerhead/sponge filter in this tank till it stablized, maybe a couple weeks or so, if this info is needed at all.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
I must admit I am a little confused by your post... Do you know for a fact that the sponge filter is sucking up CO2, and it is not just O2 that is pearling out? Why do you need to aid cycling? If this is a planted tank, just put lots of plants in it to stabilize it. You are using metal pipes? Could that be dangerous for inhabitants? Is the XP1 too weak for the tank? Can you repeat the question? ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AHHAHAHA. damn drunken posting works in other forums, but i guess not in this forum, especially when asking semi technical questions.

ok in english, what i was trying to say was this.

i started out a tank about a month ago. its not very heavily planted at all. i have some very fast growing stems in one corner and mainly blyxa everywhere else. i would like to avoid planting more fast growing plants, well basically because im lazy. i dont want to have to deal with the powersand and aqua soil mixing and such.

i threw in an old sponge filter from an established tank and threw on and old pwerhead, aqua clear 10 on it to aid in biological and mechanical filtration. im thinking the more the merrier at this point, no?

im also injecting co2 via a glass diffusor and this is the question. them small co2 bubbles are getting caught in the sponge. with this bubble sstuck inthe sponge, are the benifits from having this sponge filter being voided by improper suction?

i noticed this morning, most all the bubbles were gone from the sponge, the sponge/powerhead is on all day, the co2 turns off with the lights.

i know the simple answer is plant more, which, having a few local hobbist as buddies will probably make me do, but ehh. i was drinking last night and, well, the best ideas DONT come when youre on the sauce.

just throwing out a question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts