The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running two sponge filters on a 20L. I have a Tupperware container about 8"X4X4 with Stratum and lots of driftwood. Setting up a Tangerine Tiger breeding tank. Interesting thing is that the PH is very high, at 7.6. I'm concerned it is the sponge filters/airstones. Assuming it is, is that kind of ph bump up a problem for TT's?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not sure how sponge filters could increase pH? Wouldn't an airstone only increase pH if you were running CO2 and the aeration was just helping to degas the water?

How hard is your water and how long has the tank been setup? You generally need pretty low KH (soft water or RO) in order to be able to influence the pH with driftwood and leaves etc. If your KH is significant (e.g. medium to hard tap water) then this will quickly eat up the buffering ability of an active substrate and hence the pH will rise.

Regards, James

·
Registered
685 Posts
What’s the pH of your source water. Your tap or well water tends to be saturated with CO2. Vigorous aeration will drive off CO2 raising the pH. You can verify it by measuring your source water pH off the faucet and then run an airstone in a jar for a short while and measure the pH again. My tap water pH rises from 7.2 to 7.8 after degassing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What’s the pH of your source water. Your tap or well water tends to be saturated with CO2. Vigorous aeration will drive off CO2 raising the pH. You can verify it by measuring your source water pH off the faucet and then run an airstone in a jar for a short while and measure the pH again. My tap water pH rises from 7.2 to 7.8 after degassing.
Thanks for all the replies. Should have mentioned that I use RO (TDS 1), remineralized using SS GH+ to TDS of 130, GH 5-6, KH 0. No CO2 injected in this tank. Ph levels out to 7 after mixing and aging a bit. Same water I use on my high tech planted tank. I'll do some tests with and without airstones running and will report.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.