The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel like such a newb asking this (yes, I've scoured the forum and searched and searched and googled galore)…

Anyone ever tried to split their DIY yeast CO2 rigs between two tanks?

I've found that running champagne yeast in a standard 2litre bottle - even after a whopping four weeks - is still producing so much CO2 in a 2.5gal tank that my drop checker stays a constant yellow. Am using a nano diffuser from eBay, if you're wondering. Dangerously high levels.

I'm clearly gonna have to turn this down a notch if I want fish and shrimp to survive when they move into their tanks (I've got three 2.5gal tanks currently in DSM, will be filled and cycled in about 6 weeks). So… will I be able to split the CO2 between two tanks? Anyone had success? Will be trying quite soon but wanted to check with the forum for any previous experience.

Not sure I want to drop the cash on a paintball+solenoid+splitter setup for such tiny tanks… but may have to if I can't dial this back.

And, yes, I'm floored that I'm getting such great CO2 mileage because I'm used to having too little.

Thanks,

Jake

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
They are small tanks so you should be okay.

The problem I see is getting the pressure to build in the second diffuser after the first one is already pumping. You may have to pinch the first one off to allow the co2 to build pressure and get though the second one.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
They are small tanks so you should be okay.

The problem I see is getting the pressure to build in the second diffuser after the first one is already pumping. You may have to pinch the first one off to allow the co2 to build pressure and get though the second one.

Does that make sense?
Or if the tanks are difrent depths they will not work evenly, or only 1 will work.

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
I don't think this would work. At least it would be very difficult to adjust. The CO2 will always choose the least restrictive path, so you would have to EXACTLY have the same resistance between both diffusers (impossible).

This isn't a problem with press CO2 since that you can just shut off and dial in each outlet separately with needle valves. Not so with DIY yeast CO2.

I would go with multiple setups too. And reducing the output is as easy as choosing a smaller bottle (try 1l) and scaling back the recipe accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
15,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Who knew champagne yeast was so crazy? I've had luck with it on larger tanks in the past but I guess I didn't realize just how much CO2 it can produce.

Recipe at current is just under 2 cups sugar with 1/2 tsp champagne yeast and it's been rolling along for four weeks. Guess we'll give this a shot with half that amount of yeast and see how it does.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
well atleast it wont cost much if it dont work, but i agree with just scailing the reciepe down and using 2 bottles.
Agreed.

Also, seeing what Wasserpest said, I guess it would be tough to keep them both going in sync(if you actually could). Worth a try and if it doesn't work, just make another.

·
Super Moderator
15,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far it seems to be working.

But you're all right about levels and such - it'd be a total crap shoot if the tanks weren't nearly identical, same heights, depths, etc.

I've got a few backups ready to go in case this isn't a sustainable setup and will be sure to share my experiences here on the forum.

Thanks to all!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts