The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not going to go super in depth so anything you would want to know further pls ask, a lot of my fish all of a sudden have a split tail fin, almost as if someone used scissors and cut it. I have heard a couple reasons why it could be. I got the tank used from Craigslist about 4 months ago and it was used as a cichlid tank but I converted it to a planted tank. I use the fish food he gave me which says its for cichlids but that's what I have fed since with blood worms and frozen brine shrimp on occasion. I have heard the food could cause it tho so is this food ok?. Also I recently had an ammonia spike because I screwed up the filter cleaning process (my b) is this the cause ? Or is it stress , I have livebearers so the males are constantly chasing the females. And males have no rips. But my female platy has it too. Pls helpp

·
Registered
264 Posts
It can be one of three things.

Aggression: Your males are just very nippy, add more plants , hiding places or some other dither fish

Food: Poor diet can cause all sort of problems, feed them quality food specifically made for the type of fish you have or something like New life Spectrum and the frozen bloodworms

Water: you could have too high ammonia levels causing your fish to deteriorate. Do a big water change then regular partial water changes daily until those ammonia levels stabilize.

The fishes will heal up quickly I've had a lot of live bearers aswell and they used to get splits too (mine was aggression)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.