The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up two splash tetras today. They came from totally different shipments. One (darker one) was bycatch in a shipment of "Red Line Lizard Tetras" (pretty sure these were Iguanodectes geisleri). The other (paler one I don't know. It had been at the store longer.

What do you think? I think the pale one might be Copella arnoldi and the dark one is either C. carsevennensis or C. eigenmanni.

The first photo shows the darker, redder one in the middle. The second photo shows the pale one in the bottom center and the darker one up and to the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's difficult to determine whether the first fish is C. arnoldi. it looks like a female of one of the small species in this complex which spawn at or above the water line.

The second photo seems to show a juvenile Copeina guttata. If so, this will have substantial growth, females to 3" and males to about 4" length. C. guttata are substrate pit spawners and both sexes usually show considerable blue/green color.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's difficult to determine whether the first fish is C. arnoldi. it looks like a female of one of the small species in this complex which spawn at or above the water line.

The second photo seems to show a juvenile Copeina guttata. If so, this will have substantial growth, females to 3" and males to about 4" length. C. guttata are substrate pit spawners and both sexes usually show considerable blue/green color.
Thanks! I took some better photos. Maybe that will help with IDing the other fish. I didn't think about Copeina guttata, and that could be a problem. They're in a 20 gallon long right now which is too small for the guttata. I'll either have to rehome them or get a larger tank. I would be interested in breeding the Copeina guttata if I could find more. I like characins that behave like cichlids.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been a while, but I had a revelation that it is Copella compta. Other Copella sp. are usually no more than 4 cm in length. This Copella is around as large as the adult male Koi Betta I now have in the tank and a cm or two larger than the X-ray tetras. There's no way it could be anything else. The few photos I've been able to find of Copella compta look strikingly like the fish I have too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.