·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part I

I have a spiro problem and am going to start the following treatment tomorrow:

3 day blackout
1ml/g h2o2 dosing
trimming out the most afflicted parts (on hygrophila difformis)
water change at the end of three days

I know spiro is a pita. Can anyone help me refine this plan? Effectiveness of h2o2? Daily dosing? I'd like to avoid excel b/c of cost and vals. Water changes? Aggressiveness with regard to trimming?

Part II

I've read that outbreaks are attributable to ammonia spikes. I currently have no such problem but I want to get at the core issue. I have a 54 corner with 130w pc and excel dose daily. The only fert I use is flourish once weekly after 20-25% water changes...I wanted to keep things very simple and low-tech. Is 10 hrs. of light too much? I realize assessing the problem can be spitballing even if you're in front of the tank but I'd appreciate insight on how I can better balance things.

Thanks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the reply. Am I right in assuming NPK is nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium? In what form can I best get these. Also, will 2 ml/g stress sensitive fish like rams? Would you recommend 8 hrs?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I forget where I got my ferts. There's a whole subforum dedicated to fertilizing though. i bet you could maintain plants ok with way less light, i'll guess and say four or six hours a day but if you feed the plants that strategy isn't needed. I don't know every detail of the peroxide dosing but just my experience recently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.