The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spinach Flakes, 100% pure spinach in a crunchy flakey form. Nothing else added its pure spinachness!:bounce:

I'm not sure on price right now but can tell you priority shipping will be $5 and normal shipping should be much much less.

Who is interested? I don't want to make a ton and have it sitting around forever:sleep:

Will make a list of people, once it gets to like 10+ I'll make a big big batch:thumbsup:

This is really for convince for people, Its just spinach in a "flake" form... made a bit of it yesterday and it came out good!

List of peoples....

1. Hoppy!
2. Burks
3. Neonshrimp
-Andrew

PS, Also look for other veggie based flakes coming soon to swap n' shop:D .

PPS, rumor has it a famous person loves spinach and will recomend this product to you!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Do you add milk and sugar to those??? Seriously, I would be interested in trying some. Put me on the list.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/g...cussion/36416-chopped-frozen-spinach-all.html
spinach seems to work for less than half the people who have tried it.
so it may not help you reach your annual sales quota to dry and flake it.

maybe you can dry and flake this stuff for snail and shrimp owners which
might make more sense since it's a much harder to locate leaf than spinach;
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/p...g-expert-needed.html?highlight=farmers+market
of course, buy some and see for yourself if your own shellfish like it or not.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you add milk and sugar to those??? Seriously, I would be interested in trying some. Put me on the list.
No it's just pure spinach. Its a secret process of boiling and baking... :icon_mrgr The smell is worse than anything Edible I've smelled in quite a while....

do you have pics?
Will try and get a picture... I'm well known for taking eons to get them though...... The first batch came out really really dark... Might of burned a little bit.... its just a dark flakey spinachy thing.... I tried some... not much flavor:icon_neut. I might try boiling in garlic water next:bounce:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/g...cussion/36416-chopped-frozen-spinach-all.html
spinach seems to work for less than half the people who have tried it.
so it may not help you reach your annual sales quota to dry and flake it.

maybe you can dry and flake this stuff for snail and shrimp owners which
might make more sense since it's a much harder to locate leaf than spinach;
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/p...g-expert-needed.html?highlight=farmers+market
of course, buy some and see for yourself if your own shellfish like it or not.
Great info as always.... Will look into your "miracle green:D "

Well for me the spinach leaf I put in the tank boiled is being constantly eaten, went in yesterday around 2:30 eastern, it's 7:33 at the moment and they are still eating it... I hope they will like the flakes as well.

The other veggie flakes I tried didn't come out so smooth... will probably get another batch tomorrow... going out to lunch after school (out early because of midterms) but will come back hopefully and cook some yummy stuff lol....

Will Add Hoppy to the list...

cbennett and spy, should I add you guys too?

Thanks guys!
-Andrew

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'd be interested in the cheapest shipping method possible.

Any clue what you might charge? When will your other flakes be available?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I'd bake the puree with a little bit of flour and tapioca starch as a binder to keep it all together. That way, when it gets soaked, it won't break into a pureed mess.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be interested in the cheapest shipping method possible.

Any clue what you might charge? When will your other flakes be available?
I'm not sure what I'm going to charge, probably like $5 for a cup or so full, Not really at that point yet though.

fish_newb, you may want to rethink your process of boiling. When boiling a lot of the nutrients are probably leached into the water. I would say just blanch, puree then bake. Probably end up being the best.
Yes, Last time I did it I "Blanched" then baked. I had it in for about 2-4 mins so A bit long on the blanch. I didn't puree last time but probably will this time because it was a PITA to get to dry right!

I'd bake the puree with a little bit of flour and tapioca starch as a binder to keep it all together. That way, when it gets soaked, it won't break into a pureed mess.
^ I have both I believe in the pantry So I'll add a little bit!

I'm with Burks, I am interested in the cheapest shipping and price possible:icon_mrgr
Ok, I'll add you to the list!

Off to bake!

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the next batch is just finishing up... made it tooooo watery so it's taking a bit...:icon_neut

Also mixed up a veggie/fruit one that should be pretty good. Its a bit chunky and funky but I think inverts will like it. This new one includes...

Orange
GARLIC
summer squash
zucchini
cucumber
strawberries
a bit of spinach
parsley
some tomatoes

maybe other things. That's also drying now so If your interested in this let me know.

This new batch of spinach also has some garlic added since it's supposed to be good for inverts and fish. I also threw in a bit of herbs and a strawberry.

So HOPEFULLY it turns out good:D

-Andrew

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
$5 plus shipping seems a bit steep for shrimp food. And, a cup full would last my shrimp a couple of years. Why don't you package it in small plastic ziplock baggies and mail it in envelopes, first class? Cheaper postage and you would be dealing in volume for your profit instead of trying for too much on each sale.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
You can order those padded envelopes off Ebay for a few cents each compared to the store $0.50+ each.

The food isn't going to go bad the few days to a week it's in the mail. If moss can make it, dried food can.

·
Registered
773 Posts
You know, why couldn't you just use one of those snacky ziplock bags, wrap it a few times in papertowel, and send it in a normal envelope, perhaps with a thin piece of foam board (like the kind in the pens and paper isle at walmart or target) to keep it rigid. Can't beat shipping for .39 cents or however much stamps are now.
If you are set on using priority mail, you can get boxed for free at their store.

edit: Err, Hoppy beat me to it :)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Andrew,

What animals have you tried the new food on and are they liking it:icon_conf ?
I'm trying it out on my shrimps and they seem to love it so far, it needed to go back into the oven to get a bit dryer though.....

$5 plus shipping seems a bit steep for shrimp food. And, a cup full would last my shrimp a couple of years. Why don't you package it in small plastic ziplock baggies and mail it in envelopes, first class? Cheaper postage and you would be dealing in volume for your profit instead of trying for too much on each sale.
Alright sounds good. I'll do first class mail and smaller portions. Once it's all dry I'll figure out a price

You can order those padded envelopes off Ebay for a few cents each compared to the store $0.50+ each.

The food isn't going to go bad the few days to a week it's in the mail. If moss can make it, dried food can.
I have some padded envelopes I'll use those to ship, First class mail probably.

I'm all for the smaller portions and 1st class mail:thumbsup:
Alright, Soon This stuff should be ready.... I'm going to get some more spinach today probably...

-Andrew

Also, my recent batch of veggies/fruit kinda is stuck on the wax paper I used... It shouldn't be bad for shrimp (wax paper) right? I think that with that batch there will always be a little bit on it. Spinach batch shouldn't have that problem though.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the work you are puting in, hope it all turns out great:icon_mrgr
Well the mixed veggies and fruit one has my shrimp fighting over it, literally the crs own the cherries though and won for a while, now they are just sharing... That's finishing up drying and I can sell that after probably... Might have a bit of wax paper on one side but that can always just be taken out of the tank after:D .

So Later today I'll post pictures and price.

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That batch of the above didn't work out I added too much water!

A batch just finished in the Dehydrator and I have another bag to do tomorrow, Probably won't have pictures up till Thursday.

Blanched them in some garlic water today so that should add a little flavor!

-Andrew

1 - 20 of 24 Posts