The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advice on a cheap setup just for plants that are spill over? I have a small nano tank with some floating plants that have taken over. I love them and want to keep letting them multiply for larger tank plans in the future but they are choking out (light) of the other plants. I'd love a cheap light recommendation and minimum gear to keep the plants happy and growing on the cheap. At this point mainly the floating plants. But I could see this applying to planted ones as well. Thanks and also Hi! New here. This is my first post. I am also very new to planted tanks.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I have similar issue too. Not sure if you have access to a deck, but I started a bucket with tank water and some gravel and use it for my trimmings and excess floaters. Not sure what I'll do when the plants fill the bucket or when winter comes?

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have similar issue too. Not sure if you have access to a deck, but I started a bucket with tank water and some gravel and use it for my trimmings and excess floaters. Not sure what I'll do when the plants fill the bucket or when winter comes?

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
No filtration? Do plants need any kind of filtration to survive? I'm in GA. When it gets a bit warmer I could easliy put them outside in a bucket. I'm not exactly sure what planted tank plants need to survive beyond water and light.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
No filtration? Do plants need any kind of filtration to survive? I'm in GA. When it gets a bit warmer I could easliy put them outside in a bucket. I'm not exactly sure what planted tank plants need to survive beyond water and light.
Yeah, no filter, no heater. I do have mosquito fish, I think about 5, and snails, pond or bladder snails (not sure) in the bucket though. I'm thinking about getting a wine barrel or something similar because of the plants, and in case the fish breed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking plastic bins, like storage bins. Shallow ones. And a light that can be cheap and put them in my garage. Not sure what most of these plants need for temps. If they don't need filtration that makes this way easier. Would snails require filtration and air stones?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I was thinking plastic bins, like storage bins. Shallow ones. And a light that can be cheap and put them in my garage. Not sure what most of these plants need for temps. If they don't need filtration that makes this way easier. Would snails require filtration and air stones?
I've this for about 4 weeks now, and the fish and snails seem to be fine. I do see more snails, but I haven't seen or can't see any baby fish. The floaters already cover the top, that's why I'm thinking about getting a bigger container soon. And the plants in my 10 gallon will need trimming soon too.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Get a flood tray, set it up on some cinder blocks in an area with some direct sunlight and some indirect sunlight. This will allow you more surface area with minimum water volume. More plants, less water to deal with. You can also drain the tray and introduce new tank water as necessary for nutrients.

I'm in a temperate zone so I can get away without a heater. You probably don't need filtration either, I don't.

I use this as an extra area to house floating plants, random clippings that I'm too lazy to plant at the moment, as well as a semi-emersed set up for plants like anubias and ferns.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I think it depends on what plants you've got. I was in Arkansas last year, and I accidentally murdered a lot of stem plants when I dumped them in an outdoor tub mid summer. I think the combination of the heat and full sunlight nuked them. I know you said floating plants and maybe other plants, but naming what plants you have would be better. For example, if you've got a ton of Buce 'Red mini', then putting them emersed in a lava rock setup would be better than sticking them ina tub of water. Whereas if you have too much Elodea, you can't put them emersed, but they'd love that same tub of water.

As for gear, it depends on the size of the tank. Have you considered using a sweater box? Then you can stick a cheap LED fixture on top of that, and a small pump for water circulation on it, and boom you're done.
Cheap LED
Example Pump

With boxes full of plants, I don't think snails would need filtration. And as for temperature: you can keep them at room temperature, but stay away from extremes (below 60, above 85 or so).

·
Super Moderator
15,482 Posts
As others have mentioned, you can use almost any kind of container you like. Rubbermaid tote, plastic half barrel-type water garden, bucket, 10gal tank, whatever. For lighting you can't get much cheaper than daylight LED bulbs from your local big box store or internet retailer. I screw them in to cheap clamp lamps from the hardware store.

To get specific: I have some tubs in my greenhouse, a tote in my fish room, a 20gal long in my fish room and a ton of jars and vases. All for random floaters and trimmings. Some have sponge filters, some don't. Just depends upon how many shrimp or itty bitty fish I've got.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Before I had my propagation set up beefed up for business I used shallow tupperware storage bins under a clothesline with 6500K spec compact fluorescent bulbs in clamplights attached for my floaters, grew emergent plants in pots and set up a plant only tank (29 gallons) for stem plants. If you're only really in need of space for floaters I would suggest just getting a cheap, kind of shallow with more surface area and leaving it out in the sun. You're in the southern US so you shouldn't have a problem with freezing. I wouldn't worry about rushing to build a cheap set up for future use. Go cheap and tackle your floaters and start researching the next actual build you want to do and start piecing that out that way you can just directly use your clippings in your new tank and buy yourself more time. Just my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts