The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for "spike-tailed MTS", as they're known. I believe the scientific name is Melanoides granifera. These used to be pretty regularly available on Aquabid about a year ago but it seems there aren't any sellers online anymore. My planted tank is in desperate need of some gravel-sifting and I refuse to add normal MTS. Does anyone have a starter portion they would part with?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was looking for them, myself. The guy who did a lot of selling on ebay and Aquabid replied to my inquiry, saying that he'd changed tanks and his stock had run low. He figures he'll be selling again in a couple months.

Thiara winteri also sift gravel, if you'd be interested in those. Bob's Tropical Plants is one seller.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope. regular MTS are Melanoides tuberculata, and spike-tailed MTS are Melanoides (or Tarebia) granifera. They are similar in appearance and behavior; both get about an inch long, are known for sifting sand, are primarily nocturnal, are parthenogenetic and viviparous. However, the spike-tailed MTS have ridges along the spiral of their shell and have a uniform bumpy texture. Here's a link to the closed auction of the only seller on aquabid: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&fwsnails1390177235

1 - 5 of 5 Posts