The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last night I quite randomly stumbled upon a speed reading blog post and a discussion on speed reading methods. Now I haven't put a lot of time into it yet but its been on my todo list for far too long so I've started a little bit. Right now I have a lot to read and go over before school starts (last year of HS, thank god?) so I'm starting to try and speed read without loosing too much information or comprehension. As of now I'm a pretty quick reader reading somewhere between 200 and 400 words per min depending on the piece I'm reading, my mood, and other factors. My Goal is to hit 600 words per minuet and keep it there all year.

Right now I've found spreeder to be a neat tool to help me speed through articles and whatnot from online sources such as ABC clio. After about 5 mins at 600 or so WPM it gets my mental speed up so when I switch to reading normal I have my pace and can keep it up, granted this is cheating a bit but its working alright in the short term.

So, are any of you guys speed readers? If so, what has helped you get reading quickly?

-Andrew
*Turns back to summer homework*

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thats a pretty cool site. I am having a little trouble getting up to what speed I know I can hit, even with the grouping function but I tend to read slower on monitors than with a hard copy.

How fast do you have to be to consider it speed reading and what percent comprehension do you need to hit for it to be considered reading? I can go wicked fast but I start to lose comprehension so it becomes more skimming.

I got really fast because of AP history in high school. We had to read 3-4 chapters and take notes on them every week from a couple text books. Looking at multiple words at once helps me go faster and not using your internal monologue to say them all in your head helps but its kind of weird to do.

Last time I checked it I was reading at about 1300 wpm for hard copies 800-900 for computers when I try, a bit slower when I am reading for fun.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a pretty cool site. I am having a little trouble getting up to what speed I know I can hit, even with the grouping function but I tend to read slower on monitors than with a hard copy.
I've never even though of trying to figure out if I read faster/slower on monitors vs. paper but I'm probably the same I would venture to say I read faster on paper. Its a fun tool to play around with and I'm still trying to figure out its best implication as well.

How fast do you have to be to consider it speed reading and what percent comprehension do you need to hit for it to be considered reading? I can go wicked fast but I start to lose comprehension so it becomes more skimming.
I think for me its more comprehension vs. speed. Once comprehension drops below probably 70% of what I would normally comprehend I would call it skimming. Then again, I'm just trying to figure this out so I may change my mind :hihi:

I got really fast because of AP history in high school. We had to read 3-4 chapters and take notes on them every week from a couple text books. Looking at multiple words at once helps me go faster and not using your internal monologue to say them all in your head helps but its kind of weird to do.
Its funny you say this because this is one of the exact reasons I'm trying to learn to speed read, or just read faster in general. :hihi:

Funny you say the internal monolog thing, thats exactly what I'm trying to do. I already do it for most of the latin names of plants here on the forum. My problem is when I was little say 7 I didn't use the internal monolog method of reading, I had no comprehension of it, then I figured it out one day and its hard to 'un-learn' if that makes any sense. The multi word idea is a great tip.

Last time I checked it I was reading at about 1300 wpm for hard copies 800-900 for computers when I try, a bit slower when I am reading for fun.
If I can make half that I think I'll be happy:hihi: I'm ideally shooting for somwhere around 1000 wpm when concously doing it, and the 600 pace for just my normal reading pace. Over the past year or so I think I've actually slowed down, unless I'm pressured, then I get going quick:icon_lol:

I guess my whole goal is to readjust my comfort pace for reading if that makes sense.

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well lets all get going a bit faster! Tomorrow morning I'm going to try and set a real baseline basically after I wake up and take a shower and have breakfast which will consist of a tall glass of Orange Juice.

Tonight I was trying to get a baseline with the website but it put me at around 550-600 which is faster than normal.

-Andrew

·
Registered
780 Posts
I've never even though of trying to figure out if I read faster/slower on monitors vs. paper but I'm probably the same I would venture to say I read faster on paper. Its a fun tool to play around with and I'm still trying to figure out its best implication as well.
-Andrew
I found it was taking longer to get through all the pdf articles I had to in college. I tried printing some out just so I could lay down and I noticed I was going much faster. Checking around I found that quite a few people go about 30% slower on computer screens.

Its a good skill to have for school but you just have to keep your comprehension up. If not you end up rereading and thats kind of pointless.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I happen to enjoy reading slow and hearing the inner monologue. If you're reading Shakespeare or Miller etc... Speed reading is a detriment, I think.

·
Registered
433 Posts
hey ! 400 WPM on my second language ...not bad !!
Tomorrow I'll try in Spanish
I feel nerdy:icon_frow

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I read at 300 tried at 400 but I miss some of the words, I guess it's still not bad since english is my 3rd language LOL I wonder how fast I read on my first language....

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Try this article, and let me know what your % of comprehension is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat

:)

Speed reading has its place, and if you've ever signed a mortgage you know what I'm talking about. For me, I don't read much that I don't need to absorb as much as possible, or I'm reading it for enjoyment.

I do plan to try to use this a little to see if it can speed me up without feeling like I've missed something.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd say thats pretty darn good! Just don't let that number limit you:bounce:

I read at 300 tried at 400 but I miss some of the words, I guess it's still not bad since english is my 3rd language LOL I wonder how fast I read on my first language....
Nice, also you can open up advanced options and do grouping and make the font smaller so you see like a sentence at a time opposed to single words, for me this helps get the thought in a much less fragmented fashion but then it also lets the internal dialog kick in...

Try this article, and let me know what your % of comprehension is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat

:)

Speed reading has its place, and if you've ever signed a mortgage you know what I'm talking about. For me, I don't read much that I don't need to absorb as much as possible, or I'm reading it for enjoyment.

I do plan to try to use this a little to see if it can speed me up without feeling like I've missed something.
Well lets just say I'm partial to the MWI of it ;) and now I hate you, I'm supposed to be working on calculus not reading into all those interesting theories and whatnot. Did you ever catch that show Fringe? I missed the beginning of the season but started about midway through, I probably will end up buying the first half of the season lol...

I think you're dead on with speed reading having its "place" but I'll kinda go into my unresearched thoughts on this in my next post (yeah I'm going to double post :drool: tsk tsk)

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I happen to enjoy reading slow and hearing the inner monologue. If you're reading Shakespeare or Miller etc... Speed reading is a detriment, I think.
I understand what you're saying. Funny enough I wanted to test something longer in the program so I grabbed Venus and Adonis and plugged it in single word at about 800 WPM, and it was lost. Then I changed the settings to go by punctuation and it wasn't as bad.

With that being said what I'm trying to do isn't "SPEED READ" so I feel like I'm speeding. My gaol through this is to increase my natural reading pace. Now understand I haven't done any research to justify it can be done and my idea is purely hypothetical at this point, but hear me out.

Generally in First grade learning to read begins. When you first learn to read you aren't turning pages left and right but slowly reading lets say 60 words per minuet. If they then go home and pick up the material from school this is the comfortable pace and they read it there with indifference to the norm or anything really since its all in the child's head.

As time passes (lets say middle school now) they've mastered the skill of reading in their level of understanding, many call it grade level or Reading Proficiency. Yet to my knowledge there is no (commonly used) time test to see how fast one reads (nor are there high standards compared to say math proficiency), there are standardized tests that give a specified time to answer questions but even at this level in education most tests will give as much time to kids who request it because we're that type of no child left behind society. So we clearly can read at this age group, but depending on how much reading is done with time limits requiring a student to get the reading done I doubt the internal pace will put them in the fast reader category (for right now lets say 1000+WPM). The only thing that I personally can think of which would is personal reading trying to get as much read as possible in short periods of time that have marked starting times and end times, such as a car ride. With that all being said lets hypothetically say the average WPM is 350 for those who only read required material, and higher for those outliers who read more.

Highschool has now hit out unlucky reader in the face. This is the first instance where I can think of timed reading and response on a national scale with the SAT and ACT tests being taken. (personally as a rising Sr. in highschool) I hear a lot about pace practicing for the tests. The thing with this is in the testing room you can't use much to keep you up to pace but a glance here and there at the clock or your watch to make sure you're on track. Its all mental and hopefully, you don't feel as if you're rushing. The thing what I'm trying to say is there really isn't any external stimulus to say how fast you need to go or are going unless you keep watching the clock. So once you your pace even if it is fast, you don't notice it because you're in the zone so to speak. For example my first SAT I took I had 5 mins extra on all sections but the writing one which I just managed to finish. The second time I made a mental note to use up all the time even if I didn't do every single problem.

So if that made any sense what I'm trying to say is to each person "speed reading" has a different speed threshold. Since American education doesn't put specific pressures on the reading speed of its students from a young age ]the internal speeds vary greatly. With that being said, I think there should be an uncomplicated way to speed up one's normal reading pace. To me the key is bumping up the norm, not being able to just speed read here and there, but for everything to be much faster yet feeling that a relaxed speed is achieved. This would allow you to read Venus and Adonis at a breakneck pace setting without missing any of the flow or meaning.

So thats what I'm trying to do, if I CAN do it and keep it will be the question.

I'm not so sure if its exactly speed reading more than just getting in reading shape so to speak.

-Andrew

·
Registered
302 Posts
A hill; thats a great idea! I'm not in school anymore so reading and comprehending fast isn't as important to me, but i always considered myself a quick reader after using the link you provided I'm in the 600wpm range for reading and comprehension. this has really piqued my interest your idea about trying to read as fast as you can for short periods of time so your "normal" range gets faster. it's a great exercise for the mind. I'm going to try to achieve the same goals! once again great idea!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A hill; thats a great idea! I'm not in school anymore so reading and comprehending fast isn't as important to me, but i always considered myself a quick reader after using the link you provided I'm in the 600wpm range for reading and comprehension. this has really piqued my interest your idea about trying to read as fast as you can for short periods of time so your "normal" range gets faster. it's a great exercise for the mind. I'm going to try to achieve the same goals! once again great idea!
Thanks! Please let me know how it works out for you!

I plan on using it every morning to read something in the 1200 word rage at about 800+ WPM depending on the amount of time I have, so basically a few mins each morning after I wake up. I figure it'd be a good way to get at least a few news articles in before I hit the shower, then sync the rest up on the Ipod and catch the bus.

With that said I failed miserably this morning, I went to bed really early compared to what I had been last night and woke up at 1:30 then again at 2:30 so I gave but around 3:30 and started reading water for elephants I started it speed reading and got the prologue done in a min or two, then after that I think i slowly dropped to around 400 words per min or less because it took me 8 hours to read the book. Pretty bad for even my normal standards! It should have taken me between 4 and 5 hours but I went nearly twice that :hihi:

Not to worry though, I have a full chapter (5 more sections) of Calc to read so I'll try and speed read that:help:

Just kidding... hopefully.

-Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts