The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

This is my first post on this forum, and I am excited to be a part of the community. I recently set up a planted tank, and I used dirt and play sand as the substrate. I noticed after putting the play sand on top of the dirt, there are small dirt pieces on the sand. Is this normal? Should I correct it? (pics below)

IMG_0056.jpg
IMG_0055.jpg

Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Welcome...
I think you need to add another inch of sand.I just read on here the other day
that it makes it easier to plant and replant without the dirt coming through the
sand and creating a mess.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I didn't catch the playsand part,yeah pool filter sand is better,but if you use more of the playsand
wash it out in a bucket till the water runs clear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used pool filter sand in the past and honestly hated it. Due to the fine grain nature of this sand, I believe I will be putting a shoal of corydoras pygmaeus in the tank which will help the sand from being too comfortable in place. That being said, this is the sand that I am using for this tank and as long as this doesn't harm the organisms living within the tank I am alright with a little bit of mess.

Bump: Yep washed the sand under water for around half an hour till the water ran clear! Thanks for your help again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts