The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had a black, female Balloon Molly pass away from not being able to treat her fungal infection quickly enough. Until we first noticed it, she was in her normal tank then removed to be by herself to be treated. We treated both the 55 gallon she was originally in, to be safe, and the tank that we separated her to. However, after her passing away, we noticed that an older, male Balloon Molly now has a small bump (possibly fungus or ich, not sure if either or just some sort of scar) on his side, about the same location her fungal infection affected her. In the 48 hour period that we had her, she swam around with every fish in the tank at some point, mostly the other Balloon Mollies of course, so we're thinking maybe she had a fungus that affected only her kind? He's the only one that we can see that is noticeably affected, not even the Bumblebee Gobies we've got aren't affected by it. Is our theory correct?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Species (many other factors as well) vary on their vulnerability to infections, but usually there aren't species-specific diseases. Even Neon Tetra Disease is contagious to several fish species.

If you could better describe what the infection looked like, where it was located, and any other symptoms, that would help in identifying the disease.

Ich is very distinguishable between fungus. Most of the time, fungal infections are actually bacterial.

Does the white dot have a fuzzy cottony growth? Or just a round dot that appears on the outside of the fish? Does the white appear under the fish's skin? Just one dot, any more pop up later? Where is the dot?

A picture would help out a lot.

But first thing to check would be the water quality.
Check ammonia, nitrite, nitrates. pH, kH, gH if you know those.

Netting a fish and moving them to a quarantine tank is very stressful for a fish and even more so when the fish is already weak/sick.

May I ask what medication you have already used? Any improvements or worsening of that fish or any others?

I can comment on treatment options once a proper ID on the infection is given.

Got a pic of the Bumblebee goby as well? Some species of them are meant for brackish water.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Even with proper diagnosis , there is 50/50 chance that meds will work as we wish/hope.IMHO
First must see that water quality suit's the fish Temp,pH,GH. Zero for ammonia and nitrites all day/everyday.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I would try an aquarium salt (pure salt with no additives)treatment, many mollies require salts/minerals in their water to be healthy, some won't even reproduce without.
Alternatively any of the commercial/fungus treatments should help (unless its bacterial). In which case the medicine costs more than the fish.

Mollies are not easy fish to keep, despite many claims to the contrary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are responding to a post that's two months in the past. It's clearly not the water setup, as it was only one Molly that was affected by it, which was determined to have already been ill on purchase. Besides that, salt is not an option, as the tank also consists of Cory's.

On a side note, all other Balloon Mollies have been, and are, perfectly healthy, and one of the females has given birth.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
You guys are responding to a post that's two months in the past. It's clearly not the water setup, as it was only one Molly that was affected by it, which was determined to have already been ill on purchase. Besides that, salt is not an option, as the tank also consists of Cory's.

On a side note, all other Balloon Mollies have been, and are, perfectly healthy, and one of the females has given birth.

My apologies for not noting the date of the post .
Just clicked on today's post's, and there it was near the top.
To be clear/fair it was not jut the one molly that died, but also another you suspected with same symptom's or different symptom's according to post.
No number's for parameter's were mentioned but suffice to say,that any abnormal issues with fishes we buy, are best observed in quarantine tank NO?
Smaller quarantine tank's are easier/cheaper to treat than larger planted tank with otherwise healthy stock.
As for your remaining Balloon mollies being perfectly healthy,this speaks well of your care for a deformed /man made variant that often struggles even in ideal condition's.
I shall strive to be more observant of dates on post's in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't sweat it, I've done my fair share of that as well.
I neglected to mention that the male, with the bump, we had discovered that he had accidentally rubbed himself on some of the substrate which knocked some of his scales loose, that looked like a bump. He has, since then, been fine, and is suspected to be the father of the fry that were spawned about a month ago.
As for water parameters, I've long since forgotten what they were, but I know they were within the range of what they needed to be, as all of our Mollies, besides the one, have been healthy as a shiny, brand new whistle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.