The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been experiencing a strange die off in my tank. I have a 12g NanoCube that until recently was heavily planted. It's inhabitants, for the last 3 or so months it was planted, are as follows:

5 Celestial Pearl Danio
5 Emerald Dwarf Rasboras
9 Cardinal Tetras
3 Scarlet Badis
1 Oto
1 SAE

I know, it's overstocked and a tank with 10g of water volume is not suitable for an SAE, I know. When I removed all the plants, I found I had lost 2 CPD's at some point, and one of the Cardinals. Acceptable loses, I can live with that.
But here is the odd thing. Ever since I took most of the plants out of the tank, I've lost 5 fish. One was an already skinny Badis, it never seemed too healthy since we brought it home. But the other 4 were all the Emerald Dwarf Rasboras, and they have all been about 3 days apart from each other. They seem healthy enough, are eating, swimming with the CPD's, then the next morning, they are on the ground milky white dead or dying, or the SAE has already made his lunch out of them. I understand that they may be stressed from going from all the room in the world to hide behind all the plants to only having mosses and big patches of HC to hide in, but I can't for the life of me make out why it's only the EDRs. All the Cardinals are doing fine, and the 3 CPD's I have are all good too. And since the CPD and the EDR are essentially the same fish, I'd expect the same thing to be happening to them. For all I know maybe it's a coincidence, but it's still really weird. And these are some beautiful fish too!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
it's just nature's way to off animals in an overcrowded environment.

One species might be more susceptible to poor water quality than others.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to move my last surviving EDR to it's own tank in hopes that he lives. If that works out I can move the rest of the CPD's there too. The tank has been put on the backburner since it's become a holding tank, but regular maintenance has been done including weekly water changes and dosing at least once a week. The only thing is that I've read these fish, both the EDR and CPD "require" a pristine water quality, maybe the EDR is just more succeptable when those conditions are less than perfect. This group of CPD's have been raised in this tank since they were about 1/3-1/4" and like I said, seem to be perfectly fine. Oh well, hopefully the remaining one fares better!

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
When you removed most of the plants you severely disrupted the balance of the tank. The plants were working to keep the water balanced with your nitrate load in there. I'm sure the substrate also being disturbed and loosened debris entering the water column just pushed them over the edge. Sorry for your losses. Hope the remaining fish make it! Extra water changes will really help your fish out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts