Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bloodfin Tetra

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a poll to get some opinions. I have a 55g tank that I plan on making a species only tank. It will, eventually, be a densely planted jungle theme tank. I've listed the species I found at my LFS that I had some interest in. Some of the images don't do the fish justice. The number is 100% stocking based on Aquadvisor, just for a reference. I plan on being closer to 50-60% stocking, so cut those numbers in half for what I plan on stocking.

If there is a good species only fish you can think of, that I didn't list here, fire away. Chances are I just don't have it locally available.

American Flag fish - 40

Bleeding Heart Tetra - 50

Rummynose Tetra - 50

Black Skirt Tetra - 50

Tiger Barb - 35

Serpae Tetra - 50

Dwarf Rainbow Fish - 25

Red Eye Tetra - 35

Bloodfin Tetra - 40

Images from Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

Calculator from AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Thanks mates!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my Dwarf Rainbowfish.

Rummynose are pretty amazing as well, and I've always thought a large school of Tiger ?Barbs would be fun

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I absolutely LOVE my Dwarf Rainbowfish.

Rummynose are pretty amazing as well, and I've always thought a large school of Tiger ?Barbs would be fun

Yup! The Rainbows are beautiful. They are pricey though, which stinks. The Rummynose are also on the higher side of small tetras at my LFS and I see many aquariums with them. I also think Tiger Barbs deserve a species only tank and they are very active.

All of the fish I listed, I think, have red in them. Which is really a feature that pops in planted tanks IMO. I think the Tigers would be the most accepting (of the 3 you listed) of my climate. The rainbows worry me due to their appreciation for slightly cooler waters, I would be on the top end of their spectrum.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Noted! I don't have anything with super fine leaves such as DHG. The closest would be dwarf sag.

Regardless, I'll keep that in mind. I was surprised they are so small. I've heard great things about them as pond fish.
They are also insane fin nippers, not so much to each other, but they shredded my sister's goldfishs' tails

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would say tiger or rummy nose. I've had red eye tetras and really liked them, they tend to have a decently tight school (though maybe not as much as rummynoses), stay at top of water column and like to swim against a current

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think it would be cool to have more than one colour of tiger barb I think it would look cool. Also bleeding hearts are really nice but become quite the little bugger once they are fully grown but are really good in a planted environment. Tiger barbs you should do for sure cause they would add a cool contrast with a planted tank .

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are also insane fin nippers, not so much to each other, but they shredded my sister's goldfishs' tails
That's one of my reasons for going species only. Some of the semi-aggressive fish tend to bully a lot of other fish. So keeping them within their own species does help, from what I've been told.

I would say tiger or rummy nose. I've had red eye tetras and really liked them, they tend to have a decently tight school (though maybe not as much as rummynoses), stay at top of water column and like to swim against a current
Thanks for the reply! Those are the two I am leaning towards myself. I've seen the most about them as I've been doing some research on these fish. I did like the red eye tetras I saw though. They aren't very common either, but they have a neat look to them.

I think it would be cool to have more than one colour of tiger barb I think it would look cool. Also bleeding hearts are really nice but become quite the little bugger once they are fully grown but are really good in a planted environment. Tiger barbs you should do for sure cause they would add a cool contrast with a planted tank .
Thanks! I don't particularly like the green or albino tigers I saw at the store. What were you thinking of? Anything in particular? I've heard there are several other colors though. What do you mean buggers? Towards each other or what?

I've received the most input on tiger barbs and I actually do like them quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I'd say Dwarf Neon Rainbows. Blue shimmery scales and the red/yellow fin edges are a nice sight. Pretty peaceful.

But it would cool seeing a species only tank of Tiger Barbs or Serpae Tetras. Not sure how much fighting takes place among themselves though. The Tiger Barbs are noticeably larger bodied as well. I believe the Tigers would be more active and well, those Tiger stripes and orange coloration would look cool in a dense jungle style tank. They come in different color variants as well (Green, Albino). The green color is actually pretty nice. I've seen people mix the colors together and they do school together, but not sure if they occasionally break off into their own color groups or not, kind of ruining the one giant school of a single species.

Personally I think I'd lean toward Tiger Barbs if they get along pretty well. Though if they cause each other much stress or harm, I'm not sure I'd like that sight though.

Take a look at some youtube vids of all the fish listed and see what attracts you the most.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I keep a school of about 30 tiger barbs and they don't cause too much damage to their own, especially in a large group. They also look super after a year or two when they start getting close to 3 inches.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd say Dwarf Neon Rainbows. Blue shimmery scales and the red/yellow fin edges are a nice sight. Pretty peaceful.

But it would cool seeing a species only tank of Tiger Barbs or Serpae Tetras. Not sure how much fighting takes place among themselves though. The Tiger Barbs are noticeably larger bodied as well. I believe the Tigers would be more active and well, those Tiger stripes and orange coloration would look cool in a dense jungle style tank. They come in different color variants as well (Green, Albino). The green color is actually pretty nice. I've seen people mix the colors together and they do school together, but not sure if they occasionally break off into their own color groups or not, kind of ruining the one giant school of a single species.

Personally I think I'd lean toward Tiger Barbs if they get along pretty well. Though if they cause each other much stress or harm, I'm not sure I'd like that sight though.

Take a look at some youtube vids of all the fish listed and see what attracts you the most.
I did watch some videos and I was leaning towards Tiger barbs. They have been highly recommended too. They seem to be fine among themselves. I think a school of 20 barbs or so will be what I go with.

I keep a school of about 30 tiger barbs and they don't cause too much damage to their own, especially in a large group. They also look super after a year or two when they start getting close to 3 inches.
This is a great anecdote. What size tank was that in? Just curious. I think 20 is probably what I'll be keeping if I go with them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have them in a 72 gal bowfront. I also have about 15 black ruby barbs in there, the last 6 of my cherry barbs, a rainbow shark, and a gold dojo loach. So it is heavily stocked and I do 2 75% water changes weekly on that tank. You could do 20 in a 55 gal no problem. Tiger barbs look kind of plain when they're young. As they grow they get more coin shaped, turn golden instead of white, and if you're lucky they get irregular blotches between their stripes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Another neat thing on the red eye tetras is they have a nice black/white tuxedo tail for extra color on top of the red eye, though the pic above doesn't seem to have it. All of mine had it so I don't think it was a male only thing, but maybe that one is young and just hasn't colored up yet.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have them in a 72 gal bowfront. I also have about 15 black ruby barbs in there, the last 6 of my cherry barbs, a rainbow shark, and a gold dojo loach. So it is heavily stocked and I do 2 75% water changes weekly on that tank. You could do 20 in a 55 gal no problem. Tiger barbs look kind of plain when they're young. As they grow they get more coin shaped, turn golden instead of white, and if you're lucky they get irregular blotches between their stripes.

Doesn't really sound all that heavily stocked to me. At least, not enough to require 150% weekly water changes. But I may be underestimating the volume of fish.

Another neat thing on the red eye tetras is they have a nice black/white tuxedo tail for extra color on top of the red eye, though the pic above doesn't seem to have it. All of mine had it so I don't think it was a male only thing, but maybe that one is young and just hasn't colored up yet.
That is neat! I think I mentioned (somewhere) that the ones in person looked a little different, so this could be the same thing. The examples aren't the best, but they are better than my camera phone at the pet store haha.

I'm pretty sure live aquaria shows picks of juvenile fish like you'd expect to recieve. Several of those fix look much better after grow out.
This would make sense. They do advertise all juvenile fish, unless stated otherwise.

I'll likely go with a medium school, 15-20, of the tiger barbs. I do need to up the plant mass in my tank though. Hopefully the plants settle in soon.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My goal is to get the tiger barbs in that tank to 3 inches. That requires lots of high protien feed and prestine water. Most people would not need to change that much water. You have to capitalize on their growing potential in the first year to get to their maximum size.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My goal is to get the tiger barbs in that tank to 3 inches. That requires lots of high protien feed and prestine water. Most people would not need to change that much water. You have to capitalize on their growing potential in the first year to get to their maximum size.
I'm not really looking to have show quality fish of any kind. I'd just like to think the water is decent and it is a stable environment. Interesting concept though. I've never heard of it, but I've never really researched fish in that aspect.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Tiger barbs have been in the hobby for many years and for many different reasons. Mostly color and activity. My focus on growth potential is for my own amusement and I don't exhibit my fish, except to impress my friends and annoy my wife.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tiger barbs have been in the hobby for many years and for many different reasons. Mostly color and activity. My focus on growth potential is for my own amusement and I don't exhibit my fish, except to impress my friends and annoy my wife.
'Impress my friends'

Something I wish I could do. None of my friends are into fish keeping. I know one guy who I went to school with who has a fish tank, but his is super overstocked and I try not to bring up the subject because I'd be negative about that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.