The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any experience with these guys? Are they particular in terms of substrate? Do they do better in gangs like other loaches or are they solitary? Do they jump? Are they as mild mannered towards other fish as they are reputed to be?

And of course, do they really eat algae?

I'm thinking of adding some to a room-temp, lightly planted (ok, lightly floating at this time) tank with high turnover and current and...a bubble wall! :eek:

Any advice on the care and maintenance of these would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
706 Posts
i have a couple in my planted tank, but it took many tries over the years to find ones that adapted. mine are great and actually have a personallity and will come out pretty often in daylight to feed or simply play chase with each other. i've had them for about a year now. i dont do anything special for them (like provide river like conditions etc) and mine dont even seem to care or hang out around the filter outflows at all. long story short you need to either setup a tank that mimics as best as possible their natural environment or you need to get lucky like i did. i have tried to add another couple in the last month or so but just like what most people who try them find, they hide and simply die/disapear on you. i do keep the rocks in my tank covered in green dust algae (rocks look like they are covered in lime green paint) which they and my otos scrounge on alot. and they also take hikari algae wafers once a week.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had one of these awhile ago. He was pretty cool looking and completely peaceful. I named him Gollum, because of the way he moved. Mine was pretty shy, but from what I've read they do better with pals. He was in a 20g, lightly planted, heated tank, with a strong power filter. From what I've read, they are fine in non-heated tanks though. Mine seemed to like the current. However, Gollum, as far as I could tell never made much of an impact on my algae, not the way my otos do. He was always sucking on it, but it never seemed like he actually ate it. But I never saw him eat anything else either and he lived about a year, so he must have eaten SOMEthing. I think he was pretty hardy, but he died when I got a little too excited about fish and overstocked the tank. Anyway, that's about all I remember. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I didn't have much luck with them. I had two. They are really shy and the only time they went from hiding is when the lights are out. They seem territorial towards each other and slightly bigger one would chase the smaller one away.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. I'm not sure they'll fill my algae-eating needs, but they are neat little things.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do otos do OK at 68-70 degrees F? I guess I'll read up on them.

They never really caught my attention but I know they're popular and there's a ton of information here. Not as cute though!

·
Registered
706 Posts
thats a little on the low end for them. i have one that is doing fine in a CRS tank thats kept at 72F, but not sure they enjoy temps in the 60's for very long. why is the tank so cold?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I have one...he is sweet. He loves to hang right in front of the outflows....loves the current. he doesn't do anything really for algae though. My otos, Olive Nerites and Amanos do the trick~

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not that cold! It's room temperature! :D I just don't have it heated and was thinking it would be nice to not heat it (especially since it's right next to the thermostat).

But if algae concerns require fish that like it warmer, I may dig out the heater. It's a new set up so I don't have algae yet. I just have a feeling that I will.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts