The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Spec 2 but will probably be upgrading to a Spec V some time next month. My Spec 2 currently has jungle val, dwarf anubias and duckweed, and I'm assuming that these should all work as well in a Spec V. However, I'm wondering what other kinds of plants everyone else has been able to grow without upgrading the light.

Right now, I'm trying to decide whether to go with a Spec V, which includes a stock light and filter or piece everything together with a stand-alone 5.5 or 10 gallon tank. A bare 10 gallon tank will cost me $15 plus another $15-20 for the filter, and the light would be the biggest expense. I'm looking at a Fugeray but would be open to suggestions.

Sorry to get off track. I guess I really want to know if it's worth holding to the stock light on the Spec V. If the answer is no, then I guess I should look into piecing everything together rather than looking at an all-in-one solution like the Spec V. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
In my Spec V with stock lighting I was able to grow: Java fern, java moss, flame moss, and hygrophila polysperma without issue. I also had bacopa, water wisteria, and ludwigia grow but the bottoms would die off and only the new leaves would be healthy. The Spec V is a great little tank with incredible filtration and style but yes the light is weak and will only really keep low light plants alive.

·
Registered
963 Posts
This is my Spec V before a much needed trim. But, I replaced the stock light with a Finnex FugeRay. There's Taiwan moss, Subwassertang, crypt wendtii bronze and I don't know what the thinner, taller ones are in the back. Under the subwassertang in the front you can barely see some chain swords, and somewhere else under the moss is a piece of driftwood and if I remember correctly, there's an anubias on the wood.

There's tons of RCS in there and there were 9 Boraras urophthalmoides, which are running out of swimming space. But I see most of them at feeding time and they hover above the algae wafers when the shrimp are going at it.

I actually love this tank and the FugeRay has been perfect for it. I don't dose anything and used Tahitian Moon Sand for substrate.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get the 10g, with the fugeray planted+, Aquaclear 50, heater, paintball co2/DIY co2, and you can grow anything.

Don't limit yourself on the initial investment on this hobby, it pays off later, and gives you room to expand.
I definitely think I'm leaning towards getting the 10g and fugeray. However, I'm wondering if the CO2 would be good for the shrimp.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my Spec V before a much needed trim. But, I replaced the stock light with a Finnex FugeRay. There's Taiwan moss, Subwassertang, crypt wendtii bronze and I don't know what the thinner, taller ones are in the back. Under the subwassertang in the front you can barely see some chain swords, and somewhere else under the moss is a piece of driftwood and if I remember correctly, there's an anubias on the wood.

There's tons of RCS in there and there were 9 Boraras urophthalmoides, which are running out of swimming space. But I see most of them at feeding time and they hover above the algae wafers when the shrimp are going at it.

I actually love this tank and the FugeRay has been perfect for it. I don't dose anything and used Tahitian Moon Sand for substrate.
Beautiful tank. I'd love to be able to do something like this. It's good to know that you haven't needed to dose anything to get those kinds of results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts