The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello nanonuts!
I have a Fluval spec V coming in the mail on Thursday, and want to do a dry start with Carib Sea eco complete as a base. Worried little about my ground cover plants rooting well. Do I need a fine sand layer to encourage good root penetration? Here is my preliminary planting list:
FOREGROUND AND MIDGROUND:
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Micranthemum umbrosum
Cryptocoryne wenditii
Hydrocotyle tripartita (or leucocephala)
Ludwigia arcuata
ON MOPANI WOOD AND Ryuoh ROCK:
Fissidens fontanus
Microsorum pterotopus
Anubias barteri var. nana
Anubias minima
Crypticoryne lutea
(any suggestions for background and/or other plants. Can they be dry started?)
I thank you for any suggestions you can give me. I know this is a lot of different specimens and will end up with a short list after I get some feedback.) Will also attempt to draw up a planscape.
I intend to later add five pearl Danios ,cherry shrimp, nerite snails, otoclinus. What do you think?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
12/9
Started dry DSM
Three nice stones and Mopani driftwood. Put in 10 lbs.+ of Carib eco complete and positioned decorations. Tried to start small crypt and an anubia on the mopani wood without tying in place. We’ll see if they take hold.
Planted:
Cyyptocoryne wendtii “green”
Eleocharis parvula “Dwarf Hairgrass
Anubias barteri var. nana Anubias nana
Here are two pictures:

Bump: /Users/Robert/Desktop/IMG_1791.JPG
/Users/Robert/Desktop/IMG_1793.JPG

Bump:
12/9
Started dry DSM
Three nice stones and Mopani driftwood. Put in 10 lbs.+ of Carib eco complete and positioned decorations. Tried to start small crypt and an anubia on the mopani wood without tying in place. We’ll see if they take hold.
Planted:
Cyyptocoryne wendtii “green”
Eleocharis parvula “Dwarf Hairgrass
Anubias barteri var. nana Anubias nana
Here are two pictures:

Bump:
/Users/Robert/Desktop/IMG_1791.JPG
/Users/Robert/Desktop/IMG_1793.JPG

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Day 3

Removed some tiny fronds of Fissidens from my Fluvial Flora tank and laid them out on the Mopani wood to see if they would attach. I like the brighter light of my new LED lamp. I have no idea how many PAR it's rated, just the info off the box I mentioned in an earlier post.
Left cover off for 30–45 min. to add CO2. then misted and recovered.
day3 image attached:

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Day 4 w/ a question

Humidity good in tank. Lifted the saran wrap and misted everything. How often do I need to open the tank to keep CO2 levels high enough for good growth?

Todays pictures showing the humidity. Everything is just dripping.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nice mopani! Like the overhang, good place for critters to hang out and feel safe, while still visible. Good luck!
Subd'

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Day 5 with more questions

Nothing much today. I misted with Exel dilution and replaced the saran wrap completely and sealed it. I watched a Utube presentation on a Dutch grower and saw that they dry start a lot of their aquatics. Many that I thought you couldn't. They keep the plants feet in the water in a mist environment. I hope that my wet substrate will work as well. I have not filled with water to the substrate level, Carib substrate had water in it. Hoping that maintaining the maximum humidity that I can will be enough to get these little guys to root at a descent pace (never fast enough!). Am going to post some questions on main page as I don't seem to get replies here (no offense).
Want to try and get a Java fern start to attach to wood and
rock. Anyway, here is today's image, plants looking healthy:

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Day 6

Well, went to Petco yesterday and picked up some Java moss and Java fern. Separated some fern rhizomes single and multiple and set them on wood and rock. Old shaky hands can't tie them to these decorations, so will hope they take hold by the time dry start is ready to flood (2 mo.?) Also got a "wreath" of moss, which I am pulling pieces off and again lying on rock and wood. I think humidity is as close to 100% as I can get it. Surrounding room temp is 72º and sides of tank, as you can see, are dripping. Water still not up to level of Carib substrata but everything fully moist. All looks pretty healthy so far. Would like to get some pennywort (rotundifolia) to add as well, then, that should do it for dry start plants. With the humidity so high, I wonder if I should leave saran wrap fully covering the tank.
Here is a picture of the installation this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, but am deciding what type of system. I have a mini Fluval pressurised CO2 that supplies my Fluval flora. The tanks are not next to each other and I would have to run a CO2 line under the rug about ten feet were I to join them together on a same, but bigger, system.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Day7

Lifted the saran wrap and observed a small amount of drying even with the sides dripping wet, so misted once more and am thinking of trying some Hydrocotyle sibthorpoides that would probably be the last of my plantings until I fill her up! Also noticed that water is now very close to level of the substrate.
Here's a photo:

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bubble question

That would mean they would be getting the same bubbles per second. Are the tanks the same size?
No, the Spec is a 5 gal., while the Flora is a 7.9 gal.. At this point I don't know how much CO2 I'm putting in because the Flora has, no bubble counter, but a double upside-down bell to catch the CO2 from the cartridge. Guess the water pressure on the gas helps it to dissolve. I just try to keep the bells with plenty of gas during daylight. I wonder if the same amount of bubbles would serve both OK? Just don't know how critical.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Day 8

Picked up two sprigs of Hydrocotyle tripartita to see if they will also dry start. Removed condensation from front of the tank to get a clear image. All looks pretty healthy at this point. Think from now on I will just mist daily with a dilute solution of Excel and WAIT! ...a difficult thing for me to do. In my other tank, a Fluval flora which I started up two months ago knowing nothing about planted tanks, I have a minor algae problem, so added three zebra Nerite snails and two good sized Amano shrimp, hoping they would attack the algae. We'll see...
Here's the picture of the dry start Spec V on day 8:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts