The Planted Tank Forum banner

Spec V 2.0

3622 Views 29 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  DanPlanted
I have finally decided to go forward with a complete rescape of my Fluval Spec V.
Tank: Fluval Spec V (Original)
Light: Finnex Planted+ 24/7
Substrate: Fluval Stratum
Hardscape: Dragon Stone
Heater: 50W Aqueon Pro
CO2: Excel Daily
Fertilizer: PPS Pro or Easy Green
Inhabitants: To Be Determined
Plants: Eleocharis Acicularis 'Mini', Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo', Bucephalandra Sp. ‘Green’, Crурtосоrуnе flamingo, Bacopa caroliniana ‘Bacopa’, Ludwigia peruensis
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Going a little slower than I had hoped.... Trying to get hard water stains off now. Those are just a pain. Next, I have to put together the hardscape and find someplace to order plants. One of my LFSs is getting a plant order next week so I might check that out and maybe a few Petsmart or Petco tissue cultures. I'll probably have to end up ordering from someplace online. On a side note, does anyone know if you can take off the stock LED holder/clip easily and without it looking terrible? It would be nice to have it off, but I'm afraid it won't match the frosted glass.

· Registered
94 Posts
It will be interesting to see what you think of the Fluval stratum. I'm considering it myself for a nano cube I'm starting, the local Petco has started carrying it. I've used Seachem's Aquasolum before which I believe is similar to the Fluval.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, Petco has the Stratum now. I also considered CaribSea Samurai Soil but ended up with this. My LFS also has the Seachem Aquasolum, how do you like it? From the little that I've researched most of these soil type substrates are pretty much the same, I think a lot f them are exactly the same product just packaged for different companies. Fluval and Caribsea tend to be the cheapest of all the options, that's why I went with Stratum.

· Registered
94 Posts
Yeah, Petco has the Stratum now. I also considered CaribSea Samurai Soil but ended up with this. My LFS also has the Seachem Aquasolum, how do you like it? From the little that I've researched most of these soil type substrates are pretty much the same, I think a lot f them are exactly the same product just packaged for different companies. Fluval and Caribsea tend to be the cheapest of all the options, that's why I went with Stratum.
The Aquasolum is fine, was my 1st foray into anything other than regular old natural gravel. I've used it in a jarrarium for raising shrimp and now I have it in a Fluval Flex capped w/Flourite. Plants like it but can be difficult to plant in until roots take hold.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trying to figure out what plants to order now. Anyone recommend a good carpeting plant. I'm planning on dosing Excel and Easy Green along with the Finnex Planted+ 24/7. I was also planning on trying a dry start, so from what I read its really only good for the carpeting plants like Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini and Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo, those are 2 plants I'm considering.

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

· Registered
2,230 Posts
Break up that Monte Carlo and space it evenly. You just barely need to leave some green exposed. It will grow out nice and evenly. If you don't do that and don't take the time to spread it out and get it into the substrate it will grow in tufts and it just doesn't look good. Don't bother tearing any out that looks wilted. It's highly resilient.
As to stocking... have you looked into dwarf rainbows?? Furcata, Gertrude, and Signifer?? People don't talk about them much. They are incredibly entertaining and just beautiful with their bright blue eyes. I have been working on getting a good breeding group of Gertrude, but had some setbacks due to some jumping.. but they are stunning with incredible personality and displays. I have 5 in an 11.4 and unless you spend a while looking and waiting you wouldn't know there are any. They are small... I think a group of 25 would be necessary. That being said a 5 gallon Spec V would be good for a group of 8 I think. They are pricier and harder to find than say more common white clouds or ember tetras. Their interactions are really amazing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.