The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of upgrading my Spec 3 Lights. While I like the look of the lights that come with the tank. I think I want to get a little brighter system to be able to grow med light plants.

It seems like LED is the thing to get these days. But one of my options is a 13w CFL by Fluval. Will the CFL run hotter, and will it be too much for my 2.6g.

Here is what I am looking at. I would love some options, and suggestions.

#1 choice right now is the Finnex FugeRay. It is 10" and from the reviews it will fit the top of the tank perfectly. It is 4W, but with LED's does the wattage make the same difference as a CFL? Price for this is $33 with free shipping. I also like that is has moonlights.

Amazon.com : Finnex FugeRay Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 10-Inch : Pet Supplies

#2 option is the 13W Fluval. It also should fit the tank, but not too keen on having to change the bulbs out every 6 months or so. Also it is not cheap either. Will be right around $41 with free shipping.

Amazon.com : Fluval Mini Power Compact Lamp - 13W : Aquarium Lights : Pet Supplies

#3 is also a Finnex, the Stingray clipon. It is also 4w and I think very similar to the FugeRay. I think I like the looks of the FugeRay better. At $25 it is the cheapest. But I also think the cheapest looking.

Amazon.com : Finnex StingRAY LED Clip Light for Aquarium : Pet Supplies

Anyone with experience on any of the 3 models I would love to hear from you.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I use the ikea goose neck led on my 2 specs. The light is a little yellow, but 6" from the water and I grow low-med plants.
Pretty cheap too, back when I bought them they were 10$ CDN each.

JANSJÖ LED work lamp - copper color - IKEA

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.