The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was delighted to watch a pair of Sparkling Gourami spawning in my community tank under the water lettuce. I watched the male wrap himself around the female several times, gather up the released eggs, and deposit them in his nest, just like on all the YouTube videos. He has since chased all the other fish away.

I wasn’t planning on breeding SG in this tank, so I just transferred what i think is the nest and the eggs to my nursery tank, so they won’t all be eaten as soon as they hatch. Here’s a picture. The eggs are in the center and are tiny opaque balls attached to the edge of the water lettuce.

The poor male now seems confused, trying to find the nest. :frown2:

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on time, somewhere between 40 and 48 hours after spawning, the fry seemed to have hatched. They’re tiny and black, almost look like tadpoles. I count at least 11 of them.

It’s hard to make out, but in the picture below, they are the black dots sticking to the side of the breeder net. From my reading it takes 3-5 days for them to become free swimming. I’m not sure how they will do without the male to take care of them.

I kept fish for years but could never get any to spawn. After a hiatus of almost a decade, I just got back into keeping aquariums about 3 months ago. I’m really fortunate to have two different fish species hatch fry in just the past week. Fortunate and grateful to this community and the larger aquarist community for providing invaluable information.

Hope I can contribute to the collective knowledge.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.