The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup, so I need a clear coat to complete a 3d background that I'm refinishing. I am aware that Krylon Fusion is safe for underwater aquarium use, however, I cannot use spray paint for this particular application.

Which is why I am looking for a paint on (with a brush) clear coat that is going to be safe for fish and invertebrates.

I have read that polyurethane varnishes basically turn milky and melt in underwater applications...

I have a can of Spar Urethane around. Will this be acceptable? If not, what can I use?

·
Registered
157 Posts
You could try painting it on something and immersing it, see what happens.

To me. the "spar" indicates an additive meant to keep the finish flexible, thus not as strong as regular urethane.

I would go for an epoxy, West Systems makes some which are very thin, can be painted of, and will penetrate to some extent.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I know spar varnish is typically recomended for outdoor furniture, etc., but I've read that it was initially used for sailing vessels, (hence the "spar") and flexibility was more important then durability (they were repainted/coated on a regular basis).

You should be able to find an epoxy mix in the same section - something along the lines of enviro-tex lite, pour-on, etc. Usually advertised for making those bar/table tops with trinkets and whatnot embedded in them. I've used the stuff for quite a few paludariums and backdrops and such (nothing currently in my possession).

It's going to be more expensive then spar varnish, but should still be reasonably priced, it's relatively easy to work with (use small batches), and has minimal odor/fumes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts