The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the reefing side of things I have been using SouthDown playsand and Quikrete sand for my salt tanks forever. They can be purchased as cheap at $10 for 50lbs. I was wondering if this substrate would work well for a 20L PLanted.:help:
Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
I believe that these two products are similar to Aragonite sand, right? If so, they will interfere with your water chemistry, over time. If you want to use sand, you should try a course one that does not fizz when you pour hydrochloric (muriatic) acid on it. You can layer just a fine sprinkling of peat and perhaps a bit of laterite under this.

Two more inexpnsive substrate options are soil master select and turface pro league. I use the soilmaster and am quite happy with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where can soil master select and turface pro league be found?:iamwithst ?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Lesco carries Soilmaster Select Pro (which comes in red, brown, charcoal and - ugh - green).

Go to www.lesco.com and go to their store finder. The guys are normally super-nice about working with you if you call.

I'm currently working with the owner of a local Lesco to set up a display tank in his lobby and help him market Soilmaster to the plant-geeks more effectively! It really is a great product, especially for the price (generally $11-$16 for 50 lbs dry - and it isn't very dense so it goes a long way).

·
Registered
408 Posts
Jen, that's awesome! Can you talk him into ordering some SMS in brown? ;)

I've filled up every available tank with the charcoal and I LOVE this product!!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
It's Jeremy on the 86th and Zionsville Lesco, and yes, he plans to have all 4 colors showcased in the display tank, as tough as that'll be to make look good. :hihi: He should be ordering at least a couple bags of each, from what I understand. The Charcoal seems to be the most popular though.

Can you imagine, GREEN substrate? Eeek. Who knows though, maybe this experiment will prove me wrong ;) :hihi:

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
With a green substrate you don't need low growing plants, right? Add a few tall plastic plants, and...........

·
Registered
408 Posts
He's going to use them ALL in one tank? Well that's going to look...um...interesting. :icon_wink

I'll have to call and see if/when he'll have the brown in. Thanks for the name and address!

With a green substrate you don't need low growing plants, right? Add a few tall plastic plants, and...........
Good point, Hoppy...maybe I can fake having a foreground carpet! :biggrin:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suckered into buying Seachem flourite:icon_redf :icon_redf

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fishboy, you may or may not already be aware, but be sure to wash that VERY well. Rex has a guide somewhere that I know some have found very useful for washing substrate. I'm sure someone has it saved somewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts