The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have you checked your local Rock & Wood/ Landscape yards? I know what you're going through. Last year I decided to scape with red lava rock and was in disbelief the prices they were asking on Ebay, my LFS rarely has it in stock. So I stopped at a landscape store and ended up buying a BIG boulder for $70. They had to use a forklift to load it in my mini van. Got home and there was no budging it, thought I could just roll it out. Nope. I ended up having to use a pneumatic hammer to bust half of it apart inside the van. Then I was able to roll it out. But oh what a mess I created ! Now I have a laundry basket heaping full, and a 2'x2'x3' boulder that needs to be busted apart. Thought I'd make a deal at LFS for trade.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Got home and there was no budging it, thought I could just roll it out. Nope. I ended up having to use a pneumatic hammer to bust half of it apart inside the van. Then I was able to roll it out. But oh what a mess I created !
LOL

this sounds like quite the calamity! nice score on the boulder though - I haven't been able to find any large volcanic rock at yards in my area (northern Colorado).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have a local business called the House of Rock. They sell stone for walls, boulders, and crushed rock for landscaping, but no black Lava. I found a few good-looking pcs on Esty but the prices are too high.

Now I have a laundry basket heaping full, and a 2'x2'x3' boulder that needs to be busted apart. Thought I'd make a deal at LFS for trade
Sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a bunch of black lava I could unload, but the biggest pieces are 6". Not sure how you break lava rock without it being very jagged and unnatural looking. Black lava is usually pretty smooth and good for all fish.
How much do you have? The reason I'm looking for bigger pieces is to fill a 20 gallon extra high near the top without worrying about stability. But, I'm sure I can glue smaller pieces together. Once I get the rock placed, I'll add a few java ferms. That should be enough to make a good home for a colony of shrimp.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a lot of rock. How big of a tank did you have it in? Got any pictures? Yea shipping is quite a bit of the price. Shipping to a business can be cheap when you have a business account, well cheap compared to shipping to a residence @ list price.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m in Kansas City. You’d figure we’d be a big enough city to support at least one bonsai shop, but I’m not seeing any.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts