The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
because i am getting responses such as make your own kit instead of buying one does this sound good

20 long 31.99

filter: whats the best canister that is cheap
lights:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+9871&pcatid=9871 114.99
or
if you have a better light let me know where i can order it that will fit a 20 long and isnt over $150
substare:any sugestions
heater will be a nice submersaible

stocking will be
pair of rams
10 neons
6 cories

plants
need recommendation according to light i choose

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
ok, here is the info i got for ya
i would get an eheim heater.
an eheim filter 2213 should be fine (you really don't want to cheap out on the filter, cause if you buy the top of the line once you don't have to screw around with garbage)
for substrate, i would use eco complete... I'm yet to see a better planted tank substrate

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
If you are getting an Eheim canister filter, I would recommend the 2215 and not the 2213.

The light you have chosen is fine, but with that much lighting over your tank, you will need CO2 as well as micro and macronutrients dosing. With the kind of lighting you have, you should be able to grow any type of plant.

Substrate: EcoComplete is nice, but so is Flourite as well as the ADA substrates.

Heater: The EboJagers are not bad and neither are the Marineland Stealth heaters.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
2215 for a 20G tank?
really?!
thats gonna be too much flow for a plant system, all your CO2 is gonna escape from water movement... and stealth heaters don't hold up as well as eheim

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
2215 for a 20G tank?
really?!
thats gonna be too much flow for a plant system, all your CO2 is gonna escape from water movement... and stealth heaters don't hold up as well as eheim
I don't think it will be too much flow; you can always reduce flow with spray bars, blocking the output, etc. However, if you find that you have too little flow, then there is little else you can do.

Stealth Heaters work fine; of course, since Eheim has taken over EboJager, I have found that the newer heaters aren't quite as good as my old EboJager...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Yes a 20L is 30"s.

~

The 2213 will work fine in a tank that small and if for some reason you don't have enough flow a small low flow power head for $5 would do the trick.

The Stealth heaters are some of the best on the market plus they have a life time warranty. I also have plenty of the Jäger's and they are another top notch heater. The only other one I'd recommend is the Hydor ETH In-Line Heater since your going with a canister any of those three would work well.

Don't get to worked up over substrates anything in the 1mm to 3mm range will work fine as long as you dose water column ferts and with that much light (I wouldn't recommending starting with anything that big) you will have to use ferts and C02.

I'd recommend getting your substrate locally if you can to save the money that monster light will eat up. Turface, PFS, Eco, or Fluorite is all good choices and you will be able to find two to three of those locally and if all else fails non-fertilized top-soil capped with PFS works just as good as the rest and is the cheapest.

- Brad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.