The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,
I have failed an attempt to grow carpet seeds using dry state method got fungus on substrate (i think because of spraying more) so what i did i restarted it all cleaned substrate and dried it and resused it spread seeds again and now spraying a little less just keeping it humid(today mixed a drop of all the required fertz and sprayed a little too) keeping seeds just humid but i am saying some sort of Net (like spider net) forming on the subsrtate and seeds all over can anyone tell me is that fungus or just nothing that i should worry about.. Giving 12hours of light. Dnt wana fail again plz Help

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Dear all,
I have failed an attempt to grow carpet seeds using dry state method got fungus on substrate (i think because of spraying more) so what i did i restarted it all cleaned substrate and dried it and resused it spread seeds again and now spraying a little less just keeping it humid(today mixed a drop of all the required fertz and sprayed a little too) keeping seeds just humid but i am saying some sort of Net (like spider net) forming on the subsrtate and seeds all over can anyone tell me is that fungus or just nothing that i should worry about.. Giving 12hours of light. Dnt wana fail again plz Help
Would need to see a picture to be sure. BUT if you bought these 'carpet' seeds on amazon or ebay chances are very very very good they are not aquatic plants at all and 1 to 2 months after you flood the tank they will all die out. Aquatic plant seeds are actually pretty rare in the hobby. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would need to see a picture to be sure. BUT if you bought these 'carpet' seeds on amazon or ebay chances are very very very good they are not aquatic plants at all and 1 to 2 months after you flood the tank they will all die out. Aquatic plant seeds are actually pretty rare in the hobby. Good luck.
Kindly tell is this fungus? And why is it so? I am covering the tank with poly and giving light and its humid too Than why it is so?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
View attachment 1029892 Kindly tell is this fungus? And why is it so? I am covering the tank with poly and giving light and its humid too Than why it is so?
It does look like fungus. When you say you are covering the tank, are you leaving a gap for air? If you completely seal it up it gets too humid and fungus is more likely to grow. Also if you are planting seeds in aquasoil you don't need to add fertilizer to the water, that doesn't matter for fungus growth as far as I know though. Anyway most likely its too humid.

Normally I'd say the fungus won't matter if you were planting plants and not seeds as it will go away after its flooded but you are planting seeds and I am unsure if the fungus will affect them.

Another possibility is your seeds are no good so the only thing they can grow is fungus.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does look like fungus. When you say you are covering the tank, are you leaving a gap for air? If you completely seal it up it gets too humid and fungus is more likely to grow. Also if you are planting seeds in aquasoil you don't need to add fertilizer to the water, that doesn't matter for fungus growth as far as I know though. Anyway most likely its too humid.

Normally I'd say the fungus won't matter if you were planting plants and not seeds as it will go away after its flooded but you are planting seeds and I am unsure if the fungus will affect them.

Another possibility is your seeds are no good so the only thing they can grow is fungus.
I saw videos on youtube noone told about high humidity could lead to fungus on seeds... Do i need to draw some holes on the covered Poly wrap ? How do i kill fungus ? H2o2 will help?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I saw videos on youtube noone told about high humidity could lead to fungus on seeds... Do i need to draw some holes on the covered Poly wrap ? How do i kill fungus ? H2o2 will help?
I would ignore the fungus and see if your seed sprout anyway. If they do then when you flood the tank the fungus will get taken care of. If they don't then your seeds are no good and you'll need to start over no matter what. You can poke holes in the plastic wrap or just leave a corner or end open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.