The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty.

I am in the process of saving up for a 180 Gallon, 72x18x31. I am currently however, trying to plan for what I want to stock and how I want to aquascape so I am not buying extra stuff I don't need, or fish I don't really want. So close I can taste it, but I have never done a tnk on this scale before, so I am a bit unsure, the possibilities seem so, well, dauntingly huge.

Anyhow. I have a major 'thing' for small small fish and really having to look at what is going on in my tanks. Drives my hubby batty cause he like's big fish, but this tank is all for me, and I am trying to come up with a stock list of compatible pretty fish, and was thinking of one of my main players being Celestial Pearl Danios. I just think they are so beautiful, but have never kept them before.

Also thinking that i want cherry shrimp as well, that little pop of red is so nice! I'm a big fan of inverts in general, but so far only have experience with cherry shrimp and dwarf crays, and am a little worried about putting crays in a tank with hopefully small fish.

TLDR:

Small fishes. pretty small fishes. pretty small fishes that are compatible with CPDs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just cause I am thinking to myself here,

I like complex tanks, but really don't have much in the way of experience with fish, so much as planting tanks that I like and then dumping a few cardinals in for color (lol)

Thinking of maybe some endler's or micro rasbora, I think tiny fish make for a more intimate tank, you really have to stop and look and see what is going on. I could watch my substrate and blyxa and all my shrimp and crays for hours. Makes me feel kinda nerdy but hey.

I keep thinking that maybe I should go out on a limb and just go for it and get a moderate amount of discus, but they frighten me with their delicate reputation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No worries. and yes, It's going to be on my first floor (we don't have a basement.) Faux wood floor over cement, and my 75 gallon is currently taking resident where it will be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discus

Discus are not as hard as people believe they are BUT there is something for you to think about and that is in a planted tank it is a good ideal to get adult or close to that as discus don't reach full size if raised their life in a planted tank. I tried for years to prove this fact wrong and finely gave in and change all my tanks to bare bottom, though I do miss the planted tank. Maybe some day I'll set-up another planted tank and feel it up with Altum Angles.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'm with you, I love small schooling fish.

THOUGH- I do think that dwarf rasboras would be soooo tiny you would never see them in a 180gal tank.

You could perhaps find a "happy medium" for your husband by stocking some dwarf cichlids in the tank- there are some nice colorful options that would be safe with both plants and other small tetras, such as Rams, Apistos, and Kribs.

I love a school of Cardinal tetras. Though some consider it "cliche" it's still my very favorite fish. I've never found another fish that tops them for so much color in such a small, gentle, schooling package! :biggrin:

There are one or two dwarf cray species that are more "fish-safe"- but I also tend to think they'd be lost in a 180gal tank.

I'd go with large schools of fish.

Congo tetras aren't small for tetras, but they're another schooling favorite of mine and would look fab in a 180gal, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love cardinals, They always make it into my tanks somehow.

I hadn't thought of rams, but that's a great idea. lots of color in those little packages, bound to keep people happy. Really excited about that idea.

I had initially thought that maybe I shoul go with very timid species because I have heard that CPDs hide when they are in tanks with fish other than themselves. I don't know how true this holds, but if I really must have cpds, I don't mind getting myself a smaller species tank. Would totally break my heart to have more tanks around. ;3

edit: Ah! I can't believe I totally forgot about some of my favorite fish and didn't even consider them until just now... Rainbow threadfins. I love those fish, and sporting males would add alot of nice flow to the tank. They just make me go "glee!" everytime I watch them.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I love Trigonostigma hengeli. Don't mind the pictures on Google, they don't seem to photograph well. In a not too dark/not too light setting, they are the most gorgeous little fish out there. They are also the tightest schoolers I have seen so far.

I currently have 9 in a 15g tank. When I move into my own house, they will get a much larger tank and 41 new buddies.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I love the threadfin rainbows and the way the males flick their fins when females are present. Sadly these fish sell for around ten dollars each in my neck of the woods. I kept a group of eight for some time before trading them for store credit. Wished I had kept them.:icon_sad:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'd say black neons, green cardinals, ember tetras, rummynose, penguin tetras, bloodfins, red eye tetras, green fire tetra, black cardinal;
I think there are a lot of options for smaller schooling fish, I think a lot depends on the environment you have around them. The plants, the colors, etc. Honestly, I think a large I should be more specific, HUGE, school of pygmy cories, or microrasboras maybe brigittae or maculatus would be quite a sight.

·
Registered
646 Posts
CPD's are gorgeous, but i think you would need quite a few to even make a dent in the 180 gallon they are so small. they also need lots of cover and can be shy. i like gold pristella tetras, they have a nice pinkish/gold color and may stand out a bit more than smaller tetras. i have 1 (need to get him some friends) and he isn't shy- always exploring

·
GEEK
664 Posts
I love the tiny fishes! I have a small group (5-6) of CPDs and they spawn constantly. I also have a dozen chili rasboras, some Otocinclus, a group of Cory pygmaeus and Cory habrosus, with about 100 red cherry + red crystal shrimp. All in a 20 long. I will literally sit and stare at the tank for hours. I am imagining hundreds of these fish in your tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.