The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have another thread going for my Fish Nook that details the Build:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/...27-sonoran-desert-fish-nook-build-thread.html

However, since I am also introducing some initial Flora and Fauna, I thought that it would be a good idea to document some of that activity apart from the constuction, electronics, etc.. aspects.

At present, the main mini-rack of the Fish Nook has 4 20 gallon long aquariums arranged in a 2x2 grid (I have the option to go one more level up... but for now... resisting).

It's all basic stuff. In each tank:
all shrimp occur in schools of 3, with a different variety in each tank
all Tetras occur in schools of 6 (sans the embers which are four in number... because they came from a 5gallon micro tank), with a differnt variety in each tank
all Ottos occur in schools of 2 or 3. I appear to have a mix of Affinis and Vitatus.
all amano shrimp also occurs in groups of 2 or 3... and occur side by side with a neo populatin in each tank.
all dwarf Cichlids occur in schools of 4 with a different variety in each tank (only 2 tanks have dwarf cichlids at the moment.. Gold Rams and Blue Rams)
all Corydoras occur in schools of 6 (sans the Juliis which are 9 strong). Still need a school of corydoras for one of the tanks.
each tank has the same exact plants.
Guppies are present in 3 of the 4 tanks because my wife really enjoys them.... so in they went...

Again... This is the initial planting and stocking. There is no elaborate aquascaping yet... just want the cut stems to develop some roots for now. Nothing is being done to encourage any breeding. the shrimp and fish population will be fluid... we will just see how everything gets on....

This is all learning.. Learning to dose... Learning about CO2 fertilisation... learning about feeding... I'm hoping the centralized nature of my Fish Nook (common double sump, common uvfilter, common dosing/co2 fertilisation, common temp control) will make things easier to maintain as it's all dialed in...

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'll update the initial planting list. Remember that each of the four display tanks received the same plant variety (So obviously I bought everything in groups of 4 and 8). The goal was just to root them. I will do full aquascaping in January 2021 (a few weeks). I'll have enough root growth to secure everything, but not enough to yank out the heating cables and disturb the substrate.

Most of these were purchased from Arizona Nature Aquatics in the final weeks before they closed the store. So the selection was a bit picked over (e.g. no java fern). However, Ben succeeded in putting together a nice group of easy beginner stem plants. I'll add more difficult things like Amazon Swords and Cryptocorynes later.

Bacopa Caroliniana
Aponogeton Crispus
Naro Leaf Ludwigia
Nesaea Golden
Lindemia Rotundifolia
Bacopa Colorata
Alternanthera Reineckii Varigated
Proserpinaca Palustris
Ludwigia Repens Rubin
Pogostemon Octopus
Blyxa Japonica
Vailisneria Jungle
Alligator Frogbit (don't know proper name)

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll update the Fish list. Most were purchased from Arizona Nature Aquatics in the final weeks before the closed the store (little selection) and Aquarium Zen in Seattle on a recent trip.

Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi German Blue - 4 (I hate including 'german' in the name, but now that we have Powder Blue and Electric Blue strains, it's necessary to differentiate)
Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi Gold - 4
Corydoras Julii - 9
Corydoras Panda - 6
Otocinclus Affinis - 9
Amano Shrimp - 10
Neo-Caridinas - 12 (Red Rilii 3, Orange 3, Peppermint 3, Blue Velvet 3).
Lemon Tetras - 6
Emperor Tetras - 6
Bleeding Heart Tetras - 6
Red Serpae Tetras - 6
Ember Tetras - 4
Fancy Tail Guppies (Assorted... but do have a Panda Pair).

Looking to get a few more Corydoras species, Mikrogeophagus strains/varieties, Tetra species as I am close to adding a 5th tank to the system.
Let me honest about the new-caridinas... 1 peppermint lept to his death... all of the blue velvets and some oranges found their way into Chamber 1 of the Sump. I'll wait until they get large before fishing them out.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No major changes at all to the inhabitants in the FishNook. Just posting an updated photo for the four display tanks that are online. We are approaching almost 4 weeks.

This was this morning, Jan 1st.

Starting to fill out... Will add stone and re-arrange things this month..

Maybe a before picture would help too (Dec 6th).

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Fancy Tail guppies are breeding.. and I've spotted some tiny shrimp in two tanks...

Decided to introduce a bit of Najas Guadalupensis (Guppy Grass, yeah, I know.. will need to control it...)

I also added 2 bunches of Leptochilus Pteropus (Java Fern) to each of the 4 tanks.

Added tiny portions of Vesicularia montagnei ‘Christmas’ (Christmas Moss) to the drift wood in all four of the aquariums. We will see how it does.

8 new Cherry Shrimp have been added as well (one is heavy with berries, so we will see how that goes) to two of the four tanks.

Today, as I performed a wipe down of the glass in all of the aquariums to remove just the slighest beginning of algae spots (very little)... I noticed most of my stem plants are a bit out of control for growth... so I'm at the point where I need to start doing some aggressive pruning. This is a good problem to have... I'll post a photo tomorrow as the lights have gone out in the Fish Nook.

I also need to start planning out actual aquascapes and executing them.... it's time to introduce some broad leaf plants for sure!!
Maybe the smart thing is to do my first aquascape on the the new 5th Display Tank (yeah.. I didn't resist long... going to the top.... 5th tank is ready to go.... I will wait on the 6th..)..

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Display Tank 5 has been put on line in the FishNook. Stem Clippings and Rhizones were taken from established plants in the other 4 dispaly Tanks, following a massive prunning of all tanks in the FishNook. Did add one Anubias to Tank 5.
DisplayTank5OnLineInFishNook.jpg

·
Registered
221 Posts
That’s really cool! I have a rack that’s going up in the next month or so myself. Gotta get these tanks into one area or my wife is gonna kill me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts