Nice update and interesting that you have all 3 solenoids on one relay and not set up individually. Why would you not want to set them up individually?Decided to remove and modify the sump. Left full volume in all of the tanks... and just emptied both sump sections.
View attachment 1028665
Both sections removed... All display tanks are isolated (in/out valves are closed on each display tank) and just on airlines for the next two hours or so to keep the fish happy... Wave pumps are on in each display tank to keep water moving as well..
View attachment 1028666
I want more flow between the two sump sections. Best way is to drill another 1 7/8" whole in each section, install 1" bulkheads and a 1" adjoining tube.
View attachment 1028667
Sumps are joined by 3 1" lines now... The water levels are very similar between the two. I redid one of the connections as well by removing the bulkheads that had the barb sections held in with silicon.... I used pvc glue instead this time. Good fit. It's quite easy to connect them this way as the 1 7/8" holes give you a bit of play and adjustment as you are aligning the two sections of the sump.
View attachment 1028668
I also installed those second and third solenoid valves so that each level has it's own valve, allowing me to remove those anti-siphon valves (check valves) that were really slowing things down. It really is much better now... Picture is blurry, but you can see the brass solenoid valves just below each level of display tanks. I mounted them on brackets that are drilled into the block wall. All 3 solenoid valves work off of the same relay from the DIY aquarium controller... so it didn't require any extra i/o to do it this way. Happy to have it faster now to drain.
View attachment 1028669
Finally installed the new waterproof submersible probes (was waiting on sma to bnc adapters)... I'll take photos of those tomorrow with detailed photos of the sumps.
While I was working on the Sump Sections, I had all of the poret foam and ceramic media in two large coolers with water that I had removed from the sump... Air lines were placed in each cooler to keep the healthy bacterial alive in all of the media.... Of course the whole system benefited by the 35 gallons of water that was changed out after I through the water away from the coolers and added 35 gallons from my RO water (remineralized of course) to the sumps when I brought it all back on line this afternoon.
Would be great to see pics of the hummingbird/butterfly garden too!