The Planted Tank Forum banner
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
This evening I worked on neatening up the FishNook after the huge simplification of plumbing following the install of the DIY CO2 Reactor and UV Filter. I targeted the Equipment Panel which had been a jumble of waterworks and wires. I used Dinosaur Flexible Wire Duct (https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...essories/dinosaur_flexible_wire_duct/dn35ag-1) to do all of the power and signal wiring.

Gas Machine Wood Glass Room

The large space in the center is where I will locate my EZO Dosing Pumps (EZO-PMP™ Embedded Dosing Pump | Atlas Scientific) to automate that portion of plant and fishkeeping.

It's all coming together nicely... Just a little bit to go... (will install the new submersible probes, dosing pumps and improved lighting soon).

Caught a 50% sale so display tank #6 is getting prepped on the patio... (derimming and debasing is first, followed by the drilling)... worked on it for about 5 minutes... this one is going to come apart fast!

Rectangle Wood Tile flooring Flooring Floor

Tomorrow i'm strengthening the venturi on the CO2... should not have used rigid airline for the penetrations for CO2, Venturi and Bleed... as it's leaking just a wee bit... so I've converted it to brass fittings. Just giving the adhesive 12 more hours to dry/cure before installing the improvements..

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Sounds like you may need an adapter. What brand of flow meter is it?
Here's a website that carries metric to standard adapters, amongst a mountain of other PVC pipe and items.
I contacted the manufacturer of the Flow Meter, It's a BSP thread (British standard).... The site that you provided had the adapter as 1" BSP Female to 1" Slip.... Plus they had Slip to 1" Barb adapters... So I bought 2 of each... $14 including shipping... Not bad at all. Hopefully I will have this meter received and installed in within the week. The manufacturer also gave me some important calibration information.... becuase it's Axial it is nearly linear in terms of Flow Vs Rotations (pulses)... So, just a single constant...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I contacted the manufacturer of the Flow Meter, It's a BSP thread (British standard).... The site that you provided had the adapter as 1" BSP Female to 1" Slip.... Plus they had Slip to 1" Barb adapters... So I bought 2 of each... $14 including shipping... Not bad at all. Hopefully I will have this meter received and installed in within the week. The manufacturer also gave me some important calibration information.... becuase it's Axial it is nearly linear in terms of Flow Vs Rotations (pulses)... So, just a single constant...
It's great the manufacturer communicated with you and let you know about the threading. I don't know why but it seems many of the less expensive flow meter come out of Europe. Out of curiosity, who is the manufacturer?

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
It's great the manufacturer communicated with you and let you know about the threading. I don't know why but it seems many of the less expensive flow meter come out of Europe. Out of curiosity, who is the manufacturer?
Digiten... but I suspect they are more of a reseller than a manufacturer.... I oculd be wrong.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Display Tank #6 (the last one) is almost ready for the Fish Nook.
Rim removed, Base removed, All excess silicon removed (razor blade), Bulkheads drilled, Tubing sweated onto Bulkhead elbows (heatgun), Glass cleaned (vinegar). About 2 hours of work total.

Wood Window Gas Rectangle Fixture

I'm nervous about a frost tonight, so I will fill it up tomorrow for the leak test.... I ALWAYS leak test all of my equipment before putting it in the Fish Nook... Especially when I've pried, scraped, drilled, modified, etc...

Waiting on the gravel as well (everyone was out of the type I use in Tucson, AZ)... so no rush as I imagine I won't get around to putting this Display Tank on line until the weekend.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
While waiting on material, I took care of one issue. My ActiveAqua Piston Powered Air Pump is noisier than advertised. Therefore, it was located outside near the rafters of my covered back patio just on the other side of the wall from the FishNook.

Wood Flooring Floor Gas Hardwood

Here, you can see how high it is.

Wood Flooring Interior design Floor Door

I located the 6-port inside the Fishnook above the Racks. 6' of reinforced 3/8" Airline Tubing is what I used between the pump and manifold. It's quieter in the FishNook when the pump is running now...

Light Electricity Electrical wiring Wall Wood

6th Display Tank will be hooked up in a few days.. I intend to run the Airpump for 5 minutes every hour along with the Wave Pumps.... I'll also run the them during water changes as the Sump Pump won't be running to circulate water / bring oxygen.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Coming along. Will probably fill Display Tank #6 this evening (yes, I broke the lid, will take care of that later). Will be very interested in the flow reduction that results from the addition of this tank that will be installed at a 6'6" head in relation to the sump pump. I felt that I saw a decent reduction when adding Tank #5 at that height. Then a rework of the UV Filter, CO2 Reactor and Pump plumbing fixed that... Then adding the flow meter and check valve back into the equation a week later, knocked flow down again... It's adequate for 5, but Tank #6 might cause me to apply additional measures (will describe them only if they must be implemented). Once this is online, I'll focus back on completely automated dosing and water changes. Then I have to revisit the aquascaping, plant selection and plant care regimens (its way too random and kind of lame in all of the tanks).

Plant Botany Rectangle Interior design Fixture

About that externally mounted Piston powered airpump, Active Aqua Commercial Model AAPA45L, the one that I just located on the outside of the house: It's loud. My goodness it is so loud when you are trying to enjoy peace and quiet on the back patio. Even just coming on for 5 minutes every so many hours is no good. It's the harmonic, you feel like it's vibrating anything it's contacting. I wish it had a muffler. When I didn't have quite the water flow I wanted several revisions back in my Fish Nook, I was concerned about low oxygen at night (theoretically, plants consume oxygen at night at release CO2, no), so I added the airpump. Yeah, it can drive off CO2, but I was concerned as much for the fauna as the flora. However, I have ideas that might make it possible to eliminate it from daily use. For now, I'll keep it available on a UPS for when power is lost so that the tanks will continue to be oxygenated as I already have everything plumbed up anyway..

I've just been generally disappointed. Performance is great, it's just loud. That's on me for selecting a commercial grade unit for durability. I should have returned it the second I powered it up. Maybe if I do a little pond outside to receive the drain water that presently goes to my citrus trees..... hmmmm...
Hydrofarm > Hydroponics > Pumps & Irrigation > Active Aqua Commercial Air Pump, 6 Outlets, 20W, 45 L/min

That said. I still need an airpump because I intend to start hatching baby brine shrimp to encourage some spawning. I have the hatchers done and a neat little place to put them in the Fish Nook. Considering this pump as it will give me flexibility. If need be, for whatever reason, it would have the capacity to power the 6 display tanks too.

All of this said... if I need to address increasing the flow when Display Tank #6 is put online... I have an option that will address water movement and oxygenation... and I already own all of the stuff. and it may eliminate employing a airpump altogether. More on that later...

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I've been working hard... finally have a 6-pack... with the wiring, tubing etc.. managed much better throughout. Yeah.. it will photo better when the new driftwood sinks...

Plant Window Fixture Shade Rectangle

You can see the illumination is much brighter with the upgraded lighting compliments of the Ecoxotic E-Series P60... They are 24", 32w, fully programmable. I'm seeing great color from the flora and fauna.

$30 a piece... I used $5 worth of bolts and ubolts to build hanging mounts..

Wood Rectangle Table Floor Automotive exterior

Presently I have the controllers exposed on the face of my rack at the corner of each aquariums as I work out setting up and programming each one. This has the benefit of freeing up a relay on my DIY aquarium controller for other purposes.

I have the flow really tweaked now as well... I simply added a 2nd Active Aqua AAPW 1000 Pump. Plumbed it in parallel with the other and joined the flows together via a 1"x1"x1" PVC WYE connector.

Gas Glass Wood Composite material Rectangle

There have been 4 major benefits to this setup.

I have great flow. I can point the difussers lower creating water movement that is reflected in the nice gentle swaying of the plants.

I no longer see the need to provide supplemental air to the aquariums. The water is clearer and there is enough mild surface agitation to promote oxygenation and even provide a little shimmer for the lighting.. I'll keep the airstones there and the pump hooked up... just off for now until I figure out how I want to employ them..(on a UPS... or in use during water changes to help stir things up more)...

The presence of two pumps has cancelled vibrations that I was experiencing in the sump... It's almost as if they are cancelling noise and vibration from one another. I certainly did not expect that (I thought everything would be louder... it's not).

Finally the turnover is such that I'm not hearing the gurgling in the pipes, nor the rainfall sound of water tumbling down the tubes.. It's just much quieter.

Anyway on to other things.... Calibrating the last of the new fully submersible probes, Ready to finish up the Dosing setup..... and the Shrimp Hatcheries...

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Really coming together nicely!
It's getting there. It's a shame all of the pieces parts that I have leftover after having to revisit allot of the systems (plumbing upsize, new pumps, new lighting, new CO2 reactor, etc...). When the Tucson Desert Aquarist Society resumes it's in-person monthly meetings (presently on ZOOM) and we start holding the swapmeets and auctions again...... Well, let's just say that I will have lots to contribute.

Obviously there are things I would do differently, but all-in-all this has been an afordable way to have 6 somewhat hi-tech planted tanks with a decent variety of fish. I'm really looking forward to the build-out portion being done and then just focusing on plant and fish care....

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Small little update today.... I purchased an ambient Air Temp and Humidity sensor from Atlas Scientific. It operates over i2c interface and have it working with my Node-RED. It's a big deal becuase this sensor returns Humidity, Temperature and DewPoint with each reading... So, I had to re-examine my Node-RED code and do a little custom java-script programming to parse out the individual readings. DewPoint is not applicable to my setup, so I just configured it for the Humid and Temp... So now I know if my FishNook is getting a little toasty or a little moist... I have the sensor mounted on a shelf, so it's close to the ceiling where it will be hotter and moister... If I see it creeping up too much over the summer... I might add another multi-channel Relay board (could use a few more relays anyway for other stuff) to turn on an exhaust fan.... We'll see.. .For now the information will be useful..

I've been wanting to do this for another sensore I have (Conductivity, that also gives Total Dissolved Solids and Salinity).... And of course my Flow Meter returns not just Instantaneous Flow, but can also totalize... So two measures each reading as well. So, now I've mastered parsing multiple parameters when reading these 3 devices over i2c.... good stuff... a new skill.

Product Font Circle Screenshot Electronic device

·
Registered
232 Posts
Small little update today.... I purchased an ambient Air Temp and Humidity sensor from Atlas Scientific. It operates over i2c interface and have it working with my Node-RED. It's a big deal becuase this sensor returns Humidity, Temperature and DewPoint with each reading... So, I had to re-examine my Node-RED code and do a little custom java-script programming to parse out the individual readings. DewPoint is not applicable to my setup, so I just configured it for the Humid and Temp... So now I know if my FishNook is getting a little toasty or a little moist... I have the sensor mounted on a shelf, so it's close to the ceiling where it will be hotter and moister... If I see it creeping up too much over the summer... I might add another multi-channel Relay board (could use a few more relays anyway for other stuff) to turn on an exhaust fan.... We'll see.. .For now the information will be useful..

I've been wanting to do this for another sensore I have (Conductivity, that also gives Total Dissolved Solids and Salinity).... And of course my Flow Meter returns not just Instantaneous Flow, but can also totalize... So two measures each reading as well. So, now I've mastered parsing multiple parameters when reading these 3 devices over i2c.... good stuff... a new skill.

View attachment 1027947
Nice!

·
Registered
156 Posts
If I were to get shot into space, I think I'd want you designing the environmental systems. Installing a humidity sensor to turn on an exhaust fan if it gets moist? Gee!

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
The FishNook is 3 tiers (well 4 if you count the sumps). Creates challenges on water changes so that the upper tanks don't backfeed into the lower tanks. So, The lower two levels had anti-siphon valves installed so that they wouldn't receive water from tanks above when all were draining. These valves really slowed down flow and the 'drain' cycle of a water change is just taking too long. So, each level of tanks will get it's own path to drain with a solenoid. So, now the drain cycle activates 3 solenoids instead of 1.

Preparing the 1/2" 120V solenoid valves... addind thread to barb connectors and 8' cords so that they reach the equipment panel relay controlled outlets without requiring an extension... Top and Mid level solenoid valves have 8' cords, whereas the Bottom level solenoid valve has a 9' cord.

Audio equipment Gas Cable Auto part Electronic component

Anyway, I'm always learning. This should take 30 minutes off of the water change time as all 3 levels (2 tanks each level) will drain in parallel with their own independant paths to drain... the check valves are going...

One of the largest challenges with this system is learning the effects that everything has on flow.... whether it me devices, or simply head height...

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
If I were to get shot into space, I think I'd want you designing the environmental systems. Installing a humidity sensor to turn on an exhaust fan if it gets moist? Gee!
Well, I shouldn't have to worry about tackling that until monsoon season at the end of June.... At the moment, I'm still in the 20% RH range... nothing to be concerned about at all.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The FishNook is 3 tiers (well 4 if you count the sumps). Creates challenges on water changes so that the upper tanks don't backfeed into the lower tanks. So, The lower two levels had anti-siphon valves installed so that they wouldn't receive water from tanks above when all were draining. These valves really slowed down flow and the 'drain' cycle of a water change is just taking too long. So, each level of tanks will get it's own path to drain with a solenoid. So, now the drain cycle activates 3 solenoids instead of 1.

Preparing the 1/2" 120V solenoid valves... addind thread to barb connectors and 8' cords so that they reach the equipment panel relay controlled outlets without requiring an extension... Top and Mid level solenoid valves have 8' cords, whereas the Bottom level solenoid valve has a 9' cord.

View attachment 1028603

Anyway, I'm always learning. This should take 30 minutes off of the water change time as all 3 levels (2 tanks each level) will drain in parallel with their own independant paths to drain... the check valves are going...

One of the largest challenges with this system is learning the effects that everything has on flow.... whether it me devices, or simply head height...
Interested to see this all in place and working!

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Interested to see this all in place and working!
Hopefully by this evening... I ran out of teflon tape and washers, so I couldn't complete everything yesterday (plus I was tired as I fixed my drip irrigation for my hummingbird/butterfly garden and did allot of yard work in the desert heat)..

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Decided to remove and modify the sump. Left full volume in all of the tanks... and just emptied both sump sections.

Plant Window Automotive tire Flowerpot Wood

Both sections removed... All display tanks are isolated (in/out valves are closed on each display tank) and just on airlines for the next two hours or so to keep the fish happy... Wave pumps are on in each display tank to keep water moving as well..

Plant Rectangle Shade Gas Tints and shades

I want more flow between the two sump sections. Best way is to drill another 1 7/8" whole in each section, install 1" bulkheads and a 1" adjoining tube.

Glasses Vision care Wood Eyewear Rectangle

Sumps are joined by 3 1" lines now... The water levels are very similar between the two. I redid one of the connections as well by removing the bulkheads that had the barb sections held in with silicon.... I used pvc glue instead this time. Good fit. It's quite easy to connect them this way as the 1 7/8" holes give you a bit of play and adjustment as you are aligning the two sections of the sump.

Fixture Building Door Wood Rectangle

I also installed those second and third solenoid valves so that each level has it's own valve, allowing me to remove those anti-siphon valves (check valves) that were really slowing things down. It really is much better now... Picture is blurry, but you can see the brass solenoid valves just below each level of display tanks. I mounted them on brackets that are drilled into the block wall. All 3 solenoid valves work off of the same relay from the DIY aquarium controller... so it didn't require any extra i/o to do it this way. Happy to have it faster now to drain.

Plant Window Wood Gas Automotive exterior

Finally installed the new waterproof submersible probes (was waiting on sma to bnc adapters)... I'll take photos of those tomorrow with detailed photos of the sumps.

While I was working on the Sump Sections, I had all of the poret foam and ceramic media in two large coolers with water that I had removed from the sump... Air lines were placed in each cooler to keep the healthy bacterial alive in all of the media.... Of course the whole system benefited by the 35 gallons of water that was changed out after I through the water away from the coolers and added 35 gallons from my RO water (remineralized of course) to the sumps when I brought it all back on line this afternoon.

Fun stuff.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts