The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A little update today. The plants have been in since December 5, so we are looking at just under four weeks. Took a photo today toshow the growth.

I'll post both.. Dec 6th..

This was this morning, Jan 1st.

I think it's a good amount of growth. Will be interesting to see the increases with the CO2 online consistently (controlled by pH... 7.0 w/ hysterisis of 6.9 to 7.1).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow! Way cool! Nice renovation on the space, very clean rack system, and interesting use of Raspberry Pi controller setup. We just moved into our first home purchase and I was very interested to see how you tackled this, as I just picked up a 180 gallon with stand that is plumbed for overflows. I'm going to be setting up a sump and my own LED lighting for it and was looking into controllers to handle some eventual features I wanted to implement.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Wow! Way cool! Nice renovation on the space, very clean rack system, and interesting use of Raspberry Pi controller setup. We just moved into our first home purchase and I was very interested to see how you tackled this, as I just picked up a 180 gallon with stand that is plumbed for overflows. I'm going to be setting up a sump and my own LED lighting for it and was looking into controllers to handle some eventual features I wanted to implement.
Thank you. I have a build thread on NodeRED.org in their forums.

https://discourse.nodered.org/t/aqu...ific-i2c-devices-ncd-i2c-relay-board/25839/15

The flow (or source code) for the Sonoran Desert Fish Nook Project is there. You will also note that I reference another project by a contributor (MaddyP) on reef2reef.com (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/w...ode-red-raspberry-pi-controller-build.716452/). His work is worth looking at as well for the sheer quality of it; an engineer, craftsmen, and skilled programmer all in one... (shamelessly and totally borrowed the calibration menu code from him for the EZO sensors).

I should probably use a GitHub repository instead of uploading code to their forum... I'll figure that out.

BTW, I can no longer add photos to my existing Photo Album, nor a new Photo Album here on PlantedTank.net . I'll have to work with the moderatros to find out why... I wasn't able to provide updated photos for the work I did over the weekend.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don't think I've shown the lights I use. They are Ecoxotic Stunners Strips, 12.5", 6W, 8000K white, Models #8012.

I use 2 per 20gallon aquarium, so they cover about 25" of the 30" width which is perfect. As they are mounted about 8" above the water the spread is perfect. Because the water is only about 10" deep once you account for gravel and the offset from the top edge of the glass, the light penetraton and shimmer is vey nice.

I'd like to find 2 more of these (at least) for the 6th tank I will be adding. I already have the 2 needed for the 5th tank I'm adding very soon.

Unfortunately, I am not able to add any more photos to this Gallery, nor any other Galleries that I create. I'm a paying Gold member, which is supposed to give me more storage, but I've not succeeded in getting an Administrator's attention. (The moderators have responded and forwaded the requests, but becuase it's a paid feature, it is out of their hands and must be escalated to the Administrator).

Therefore, I will not be able to continue contributing to this thread. I've already paid here... I'm not going to also pay at a 3rd party picture hosting website just so that I can provide additional content here. I have a similar thread about this FishNook on SimplyD (simplydiscusDOTcom) and I'll continue to publish there.

Peter

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't think I've shown the lights I use. They are Ecoxotic Stunners Strips, 12.5", 6W, 8000K white, Models #8012.

I use 2 per 20gallon aquarium, so they cover about 25" of the 30" width which is perfect. As they are mounted about 8" above the water the spread is perfect. Because the water is only about 10" deep once you account for gravel and the offset from the top edge of the glass, the light penetraton and shimmer is vey nice.

I'd like to find 2 more of these (at least) for the 6th tank I will be adding. I already have the 2 needed for the 5th tank I'm adding very soon.

Unfortunately, I am not able to add any more photos to this Gallery, nor any other Galleries that I create. I'm a paying Gold member, which is supposed to give me more storage, but I've not succeeded in getting an Administrator's attention. (The moderators have responded and forwaded the requests, but becuase it's a paid feature, it is out of their hands and must be escalated to the Administrator).

Therefore, I will not be able to continue contributing to this thread. I've already paid here... I'm not going to also pay at a 3rd party picture hosting website just so that I can provide additional content here. I have a similar thread about this FishNook on SimplyD (simplydiscusDOTcom) and I'll continue to publish there.

Peter
I've read through this thread from the beginning and it's a very well thought out and nice build!

Quite disappointed that you are a paying Gold member and cannot seem to get any love. Hopefully, they are able to get it all straightened out soon.

FYI - those 12.5" Ecoxotic 8000K lights are available through currentusa on fleabay.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
FYI - those 12.5" Ecoxotic 8000K lights are available through currentusa on fleabay.
no, not anymore. they sold out a long time ago.. they have the other termperature variants.. buy noth the 24led 8000k white in the 12.5" 6W size.. I check with them about every 3 months to see if they've dug any up.. It's a shame... I know hobbyist all over have them stored away.... just got to find two more (okay truthfully, I'd like to find 6 more... but will be very satisfied with 2).

yeah, I don't know what it is with this site. been a member since 2003. it's just a holding of the PetGuide group now. I don't imagine the Forum format holds much interest to them anymore and probably contributes little in ad click through revenue. follow the money and you won't expect much in the way of service.

it's a shame as I really value the contributions here. i appreciate the fine work of the moderators, but they are limited in the things they are permitted to do in behalf of the user community.

Peter ODwyer

·
Registered
91 Posts
no, not anymore. they sold out a long time ago.. they have the other termperature variants.. buy noth the 24led 8000k white in the 12.5" 6W size.. I check with them about every 3 months to see if they've dug any up.. It's a shame... I know hobbyist all over have them stored away.... just got to find two more (okay truthfully, I'd like to find 6 more... but will be very satisfied with 2).

yeah, I don't know what it is with this site. been a member since 2003. it's just a holding of the PetGuide group now. I don't imagine the Forum format holds much interest to them anymore and probably contributes little in ad click through revenue. follow the money and you won't expect much in the way of service.

it's a shame as I really value the contributions here. i appreciate the fine work of the moderators, but they are limited in the things they are permitted to do in behalf of the user community.

Peter ODwyer
There is 1 light currently available on Fleabag. I just looked it up again and it shows 1 available. - see attached pic

That is really a shame about the site as it really is a huge resource!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Beautiful build from scratch and I thoroughly enjoyed the work you have done. I always say the devil is in the details and you've provided that through your pics and descriptions.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Beautiful build from scratch and I thoroughly enjoyed the work you have done. I always say the devil is in the details and you've provided that through your pics and descriptions.
Thanks!
Thank you. Once I can post photos to the Galleries again, a really good update will follow.

There is new control hardware to receive the sump and R.O. Storage level switch inputs (NCD i2c Dig Exp board). The Flow meter is working again (lots of mistakes on my part). A check valve (3/4 inch) is present to prevent back flushing to the sump when the pump is shut-off.

Deadband for the pH / CO2 in the DIY aquarium controller has been tightened. Setpoint is now 6.95 with a hysterisis of .075. Want to see what that does over 24 hours. (A 24hour FIFO Trend of temp/pH is maintained on the DIY aqua ctrlr now).

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Administrator fixed the Gallery Issue.. So I can post more photos.

I prepared the 5th Display Aquarium for the Fish Nook. It will go on the top shelf, left side. I have everything for it, so it will be deployed soon.... Turned out nice.

I will hold off on the 6th Display Tank that is to go on the top shelf, right side.. as I'm still trying to obtain another two of the Stunner Strips that I described above (plus, I need to procure another 20L... and de-rim / de-base it).

I did a big water change which almost emptied the R.O. Water Storage in the front bodega... So, I took advanatage of that to prepare it for the level sensors.

First, needed to get that last 5 gallons out of it. I'll use that last 5 gallons for the 10 gallon quarantine tank I'm putting on line.

With the Tank empty.. I started drilling. I put the first level switch at 5 gallons, which fell just above the discharge bulkhead. I had to remove the bulkhead to fit the sensor and wire through that first hole. 5 gallons is the point where I want the pump and heater to shut off so no damage occurs.

I then did another at the 35 gallons.. That is the height I need for the 33% water change on 4 tanks and some top off space. A 3rd at 45 gallons as that is the height I need for 33% water change on 6 tanks and some top off space. The final is at 55 gallons, and that's just about full as the RO water float is installed at about 58 gallons. The tank is rated for 65 gallons, but that is filling right up to the very top, which is not practical... somewhere between 58-60 gallons is the useable capacity.

On the inside, you can see all four level sensors. Note that I installed them upside down... That is becuase the tank will most often be FULL.... so all of those level sensors will be 'met'... I decided I would like them to send NO VOLTS when they are met (swing up)... it saves a bit of energy... The contacts only close when the water level is below each of the switches...

Prior to wiring everything up permanently.. I conducted a tests in the FishNook. A few days ago I received a new piece of hardware.. an NCD 8 Channel Digital I/O Expansion Board that communicates over i2c... So the Sump level switches will occupy four channels.. and the RO Storage level switches will occupy four channels.

Nice small board:

Here's it mounted up... I wanted to test with 3 extra switches that I had first...

You can see the dimunitive size of the digital i/o board next to the relay board... and the 3 level switches terminated to 3 channels. I also relocated the Flow Transmitter (EZO-FLO circuit) for the Flow Meter... it's below and left of the LCD touch screen. So yeah, I got that working too (more on that later).

Here is a closeup of the graphic showing the Flow and the level switches working properly. Ready to wire it all up now... and automate the water changes and redevelop the auto-top off function.

What was wrong with the FLO? 3 things:
1. I followed the flow meter specs wrong.. which meant I configured the flow transmitter incorrectly.. as well as programmed Node-RED code incorrectly.
2. I had a loose ground pin on the transmitter... So I had to re-solder it... my bad..
3. I had some excess flux from soldering the other pins.. So I had to clean that up with acetone.

Note. This is not Total Flow.. This FlowMeter is only 1/2".. so it chokes off the flow too much when I install it directly after the pump in series with everything... So, as a temporary measure... It is installed in a parallel branch to the UVFilter and the CO2 Reactor. So, flow is split 3 ways at that point... and then rejoins before going to all of the display tanks... So, at best.. 15.8 l/min probably represents just 1/3 to 1/4 of the actual flow. I have a 1" Flow Meter on order... when I receive that.. I will install it in series with the pump and before the UVFilter/CO2Reactor parallel brances. Then I will have Total Flow. For the time being... I know that water is moving.. and I can set alarm trip points so that I'm notified if the system stops circulating water... (I'll use a Node-RED email function to handle the event / alarm notifications).

I also decided to build a simple History Graph for Temp and pH.... it's a 24hr FIFO Trend. You can see that I need to tighten up the hysterisis a bit to diminish the amplitude (swings) on the pH. You can also see where I turned off the pump momentarily the day before... see the blip....

Anyway, lots of tidying up to do with the installation and the programming.

Meanwhile, here is an updated photo of the plant growth from yesterday. it's coming along... Definitely is in need of a real aquascaping. On Thursday I am getting some guppy grass and java fern... so that will give me more fill in the lower areas... I might be motivated to trim and neaten up the scape a little.

Oh, yeah.. In my Den/Office/Lab on the opposite side of the FishNook is my tiny stand that houses a 10 gallon Quarantine tank (new introductions), a 5 gallon hosptial/nursery tank, and an empty 2 gallon egg/fry tank. I store the food, meds, fertilizers here too.

Okay.. next posts will be more of the Level Switch installation (sump area)...

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here's a little video of the Atlas-Scientific EZO-FLO Flow Transmitter's dancing LEDs as it receives pulses from the Flow Meter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great update and I'm happy they sorted out the issue with uploading pics! The system is coming along nicely.

Perhaps you have already mentioned it but my memory isn't what it used to be. So, what kind of CO2 reactor are you running?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Perhaps you have already mentioned it but my memory isn't what it used to be. So, what kind of CO2 reactor are you running?
The CO2 Reactor is a bit wimpy, but it certainly seems capable. In a 24 hour period I see the CO2 activating for about 6 hours total throughout the day, bubbling at 2 bubbles a second. The CO2 addition is controlled by maintaining a pH of 6.95 with my DIY aquarium controller. I have good plant growth in all display tanks. It's a small unit I purchased about 3 years ago. I may upgrade it when I put the 6th Display tank online.

Remember, that the flow is split from the Sump into parallel paths, so that the CO2 Reactor is not receiving all of the water, so it's not overwhelmed. (The same with the UV Filter.. it's not receiving all of the water, so the water it is receiving has decent dwell time).

You can see it attached to the outside of the Sump. All of the slipfit connectors leaked (CO2 and war input/ouput), so I had to heat the tubing to stretch over the threads (CO2 and water input/output) and apply clamps.

It's fed by a 10lb CO2 tank with a Milwuakee MA957 Regulator/Solenoid/NeedleValve combo.

I still consider the whole FishNook in startup mode. I haven't added any difficult to keep plants yet, so my CO2 and fertilization needs are quite basic. I also don't have a tremenduous amount of light for each aquarium, so that will always be a limiting factor as well.

Man, these two photos are reminders to me that I need to neaten up my wiring. :)

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I posted another thread (with a video) about a test I am conducting with a Hydor Koralia 240 120v wave pump to improve circulation in the lower levels of my 20 long. This post explains the thought process and the questions I have:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts