The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Have had a. Established aquarium with plants for about 2 yrs. Was doing seachem N P and K as well as iron and flourish and excel. My swords were turning transparent almost and a algae was flourishing. Recently switch to co2 injection

KH 3-4
PH 6.2-7 depending on lights on or off
Nitrate 20-40
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
I have 2 finnex 24/7 planted + cc series

I had run the lights on 24/7 mode but since switchinf to co2 i have the 1 on the 24/7 mode and the other on max for 6 hrs

Co2 injecting at 3-5 bubbles per second and my drop checker is a nice light shade of green during the day and blue at night in a 55 gal aquarium

My soil was aquarium soil i think made by fluval? That im not sure but it was small round pellets

My new growth on the swords and this other plant im not sure of look good. My javas and lotus not so much

I also have recently switched to the GLA PPS pro system and am putting 5ml micro and 10ml macro daily as per their instructions for "high lights"

Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The finnex lights have a 24/7 mode where they transition from a morning to day to evening to night. For instance right now they look like the image below. The frequencies vary throughout the transitions as well.

Attachments

·
Are these real?
15,698 Posts
Ok, thank you for that info. Not familiar with the details of the 24/7 mode, so let's assume it is fantastic for plant growth, with a long enough period of sufficient output (the gradual modes won't do much for plants).

Here are a few thoughts I could come up with...

1) How long ago did you add CO2? This should make a difference, for better, faster, greener growth. If it doesn't, it's an indication that something (usually N) is amiss. Or maybe you just started and it hasn't kicked in yet.

2) From your image, I would assume you have relatively large fish in a relatively small tank. My experience with that tells me that (unless you do rather frequent, high volume water changes) may increase the buildup of biofilms on plants, which negatively affects their growth.

3) Seachem ferts (apart from the regular Flourish) are not very concentrated. And I am not sure about some all-in-one liquid either. I would try to get my hands on some KNO3, K2SO4, and KH2PO4 and dose that, in addition to a micro mix and possibly extra iron.

4) You mention Nitrates 20-40 which sounds enough, but sometimes tests are hard to interpret. Also, assuming that is the level, it may just indicate a lack of water changes with accumulation of organics. I don't think that is the "balance" we strive for, unfortunately.

So these are my suggestions/comments. See if you can reduce your stocking level a bit and/or stick to smaller size fish. Freshen things up with increased water changes. Look into NPK dosing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. The green leaf aquatics pps system are dry ferts measured into predetermined quantities and mixed with distilled h20 and dosed ml/gal. I started co2 3 weeks ago, new growth is great. The old growth just looks terrible. I started the dey fert dosing at the same time as the co2. My fish load for 55gal seems reasonable. 2 rainbows, 3 siamese algae, 5 emperor tetras, an angel fish, a danio and 2 bristle plecos. I do about 25% h2p.changes a week. Could too much light be the issue?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Could too much light be the issue?
Yep, those plants aren't that particular in terms of ferts. It sounds like too much light. You don't mention how much/often you change the water. With a good fish load and limited/slower growing plant mass changing out the water on a regular basis is extremely important. You should trim off a bunch of the leaves and also add carbon to the filter to remove the organics that will decompose and cause algae in a tank with limited fast growing stems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I typically do about 9 gal a week but with this pps regimen it calls for 25% weekly. Ill turn the lights both to 6hrs max ans cut back the ferts. Adding carbon will remove the fertilizer as well, is that correct?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I typically do about 9 gal a week but with this pps regimen it calls for 25% weekly. Ill turn the lights both to 6hrs max ans cut back the ferts. Adding carbon will remove the fertilizer as well, is that correct?
That's not good and I'll tell you why. Water changes based on a fert routine is very short sighted because it's based on removing ferts and then redosing to get them within range it doesn't take into account organic build-up from fish waste, food, dying leaves etc. The more water you change the better off you'll be in controlling algae. Many times algae impedes growth although it looks like a deficiency. With your fish load and limited plant mass you should be doing 50% weekly.

If you have good light and limited plant mass it's even more important as there isn't enough uptake from hungry fast growing stem plants to keep the water free of decomposing waste.

Carbon having any "real' impact on ferts is a myth. It doesn't really impact anything especially if your dosing on a regular basis. All my tanks startup with Carbon and I use carbon if I see a hint of algae or if I remove alot of plant mass knowing it's going to reduce uptake. You need to dose, but you need to think "clean" water more than anything.

The tanks in my sig links below all run on carbon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok good to know. Thank you. I will start with the carbon again, i had stopped when i started "growing" haha. The warer column nutrients wont do much for the swords will they? I should get some more plants to utilize them i suppose?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Ok good to know. Thank you. I will start with the carbon again, i had stopped when i started "growing" haha. The warer column nutrients wont do much for the swords will they? I should get some more plants to utilize them i suppose?
Swords will grow fine with just water column dosing. That is another myth disproven. All the so called root-feeders like swords and crypts will grow perfectly healthy with just water column ferts.

BTW on my 3-footer I have a 24/7 Finnex that's on 18 hrs a day, but only 3 hr max burst the rest is dimmer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cant see the sig images until i reach 10 posts but ill check them out when i can. I had both my finnex on the 24/7 mode with the default settings and just recently went to 6 hrs on max a day for both. Im just upset, this tank was beautiful with plants growing out of the top regularly for almost 2 yrs as a newb to live plants. Nothing changed and it tapered off so i assumed "i need co2 and ferts" 3 weeks in and its still just blah. The worst is im losing my javas 😬

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts